History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.


A Grade II Listed Building in Watford, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.6813 / 51°40'52"N

Longitude: -0.4242 / 0°25'27"W

OS Eastings: 509043

OS Northings: 199229

OS Grid: TQ090992

Mapcode National: GBR 2J.RQJ

Mapcode Global: VHFSL.L0MG

Entry Name: Russell's

Listing Date: 24 August 1979

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175362

English Heritage Legacy ID: 158163

Location: Watford, Hertfordshire, WD17

County: Hertfordshire

District: Watford

Town: Watford

Electoral Ward/Division: Nascot

Built-Up Area: Watford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Watford St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TQ 09 NE 3/5




Later C18 red brick villa, altered in C19. Formerly part of Cassiobury estate. Two storey. Hipped low pitch slate roofs. Modillion eaves cornices. Entrance front originally 3 bay, extended to 4. Centre breaks forward with pediment. Sill band at 1st floor. Glazing bar sashes. Window heads slightly cambered. Circa 1900 projecting stone porch, glazed between piers on high plinth. Cornice and balustrade over. Projecting ground floor brick extension to left. South, garden front similar but with modern bargeboards to wide pedimental gable. Five bays. Projecting centre with big full height semi-circular 3 window bow, lead roof extending up into gable. Central stone Tuscan pedimented doorcase. Modern ground floor extension to left. C19 triple window to right. Long plain east front with later additions. North service wing, mostly C19 has a small cupola bellcote with vane dated 1718, possibly that removed from summer house of Watford House, demolished in 1904.

Listing NGR: TQ0904399229

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.