History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Entrance Gateway About 5 Metres East of Broom Lodge, and Flanking Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Hinton St. George, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 50.9101 / 50°54'36"N

Longitude: -2.8314 / 2°49'52"W

OS Eastings: 341646

OS Northings: 112622

OS Grid: ST416126

Mapcode National: GBR MD.QY8V

Mapcode Global: FRA 46YP.QS1

Entry Name: Entrance Gateway About 5 Metres East of Broom Lodge, and Flanking Walls

Listing Date: 18 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175374

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262332

Location: Hinton St. George, South Somerset, Somerset, TA17

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Hinton St. George

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Hinton St George with Dinnington

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Hinton Saint George

Listing Text


7/80 Entrance gateway about 5 metres
east of Broom Lodge, and flanking


Entrance gateway. Early C19, possibly by James or Jeffry Wyatt (later Sir Jeffry Wyattville). Ham stone piers, timber
gates. Walling on both sides about 2 metres high, with plinth, recessed panels and heavy angled copings, with plain
piers of same height, having serpentine curves back into gateway, which matches that 80 metres west of Hinton House
(qv) but is larger in scale. Four piers square on plan, with plain bases, top bands, steps and necked bases to
pineapple finials, the inner piers flanking the carriage gate about 3.5 metres high, the outer with pedestrian gates
being about 3 metres high. This became the main entrance to Hinton House (qv) when the village approach was superseded
by the New Road, which sweeps around the north side of the church to rejoin the old cross route outside this gateway,
in 1766. Landscaping was said to have been finished by about 1817 (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, p46).

Listing NGR: ST4164612622

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.