History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1, 3 and 5, Church Green

A Grade II Listed Building in Benington, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8959 / 51°53'45"N

Longitude: -0.1143 / 0°6'51"W

OS Eastings: 529849

OS Northings: 223607

OS Grid: TL298236

Mapcode National: GBR K9J.1Y2

Mapcode Global: VHGP1.YLYZ

Entry Name: 1, 3 and 5, Church Green

Listing Date: 24 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175376

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159601

Location: Benington, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG2

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Benington

Built-Up Area: Benington

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Benington

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Ardeley

Listing Text

Benington
TL 2923 BENINGTON CHURCH GREEN
(south side)

11/13 Nos 1, 3, and 5
24.11.66

GV II

House, now 3 houses. C16 or earlier open hall house, said to
have been parish priest's house until 1636. Storeyed 2-bay later
C16 extension at W. Gabled jettied, 2-bay crosswing at E early
Cl7, divided into 2 houses and No 5 built at W end in matching
style in mid C19. Timber frame exposed on upper floor of E cross
wing but roughcast generally. No 5 probably of brick under the
roughcast. Steep old red tile roofs. Corrugated sheet roof to
outhouse wing at rear of No 1, replacing thatch. An L-shaped
group facing N. One and a half storeys E crosswing. Oldest part
in middle is a 3-bay structure with hall in 2 W bays and heavy
timbering and tension bracing exposed in E bay (No 1). Hall
floored in stages with early Cl7 chamfered axial beam in middle
bay with ogee and bar stops. Later floor and lateral chimney
projecting to rear in W bay. Roof raised but old jowled bay
posts remain. Well-finished heavy timbering in W 2-bay C16
extension, of one and a half storeys from beginning. Framed
opening over tie-beam in E gable possibly an entrance for ladder
from still open end-bay of hall. Cut off braces to crossbeam
supporting upper floor. C19 internal gable chimney with stair
position in NW corner. This wing has hollow chamfers worked on
tie beams but lower part my have been service rooms. Cl7 jettied
E parlour wing of 2 bays designed with one room on each floor and
large external rear gable chimney. Close studding and clasped-
purlin roof. Irregular frontage with roofs stepping up from
middle. 6 flush casement windows and 3 boarded doors. Gabled
dormer over door to middle part and 2 to right. 5 gabled dormers
at rear. (RCHM (1911) 52).


Listing NGR: TL2984923607

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.