This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7643 / 52°45'51"N
Longitude: -2.8964 / 2°53'47"W
OS Eastings: 339607
OS Northings: 318897
OS Grid: SJ396188
Mapcode National: GBR 79.YYS0
Mapcode Global: WH8BC.GSZ6
Entry Name: Ness Strange (Flats 1-8) ness Strange Stables
Listing Date: 27 May 1953
Last Amended: 27 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175421
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259185
Location: Great Ness, Shropshire, SY4
Civil Parish: Great Ness
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Great Ness St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
GREAT NESS C.P. GREAT NESS
SJ 31 NE
4/121 Ness Strange (flats 1-8)
27.5.53 and Ness Strange Stables
(formerly listed as Ness
Small country house, now divided. Dated 1778 (rainwater heads) for
Rowland Edwards Esq. Probably early C19 alterations and additions, with
further alterations and additions dated 1900 (rainwater heads). Red
brick with some grey sandstone ashlar dressings. Two-span slate roofs.
House at right angles to road with probably early C19 service wing adjoining
to north-west. Three storeys with service wing of 2 storeys and gable-
lit attic. South-west (entrance) front: stone plinth, first-floor
stone cill band, stone frieze and moulded cornice,and parapet with stone
coping. Pairs of integral brick end stacks and pairs of brick ridge
stacks. 3:2:3 bays, with pair of full-height canted bays; glazing bar
sashes with gauged brick heads and stone cills. Pair of central ground-
floor sashes replacing former entrance (removed to the service wing, either
in the early C19 or c.1900) with red sandstone lintels (see also difference
in colour of brick). Right-hand return front: 4 bays; mostly blind
windows. C18 lead downpipe to left has a semi-circular rainwater head
with moulded cornice, a lion motif and the date 1778. Rear: 4 x 3 bays.
Full-height half-octagonal bay to right of 1900 (see sashes with red
sandstone lintels. Lead downpipes to each side of bay, that to the
right with rainwater head dated 1778 (probably resited when bay added) and
that to the left with rainwater head dated 1900. Entrance in third bay
from left with 6-panelled door (4 upper panels raised and fielded and
lower 2 panels beaded flush), panelled reveals and soffit, moulded
architrave and remains of brackets to moulded cornice; later grey sandstone
ashlar surround (possibly c.1900) with unfluted pilasters, frieze,cornice
and blocking course with second cornice above that. Service wing: plinth,
dentil brick eaves cornice (double toothed-brick eaves cornice to rear)
and parapeted gable end with stone coping. Front range with 2 brick ridge
stacks and integral brick end stack and rear range with 2 brick ridge
stacks. South-west front: 6 bays; glazing bar sashes with grey
sandstone cills and red sandstone lintels. Two first-floor blind windows
to left. Resited C18 door and doorcase in second bay from right with 6-
panelled door (upper 4 panels raised and fielded, lower 2 beaded flush),
radial fanlight with husk garlands, and grey sandstone ashlar Doric doorcase
consisting of side lights with lugged and shouldered-architraves, frieze
and cornice with mutules, and centre breaking forwards with unfluted
three-quarter columns flanking door and supporting sections of entablature
with triglyph frieze and open triangular pediment above. Four-panelled
door (probably inserted in place of former window) in second bay from left
with 2-part rectangular overlight. Left-hand gable end of 4 bays, with
sashes in attic too. Interior of main block partly inspected: rear
entrance hall has late C18 or early C19 three-flight staircase with landings,
open string, fluted stick balusters (2 per tread), and ramped handrail,
wreathed to columnular foot newel. Panelled segmental arch to staircase
with fluted imposts and carved brackets. Panelled window shutters noted
in other rooms. Ness Strange was formerly the seat of the Edwards family.
The service wing appears to be of the early C19 but it is not clear if the
C18 doorcase was resited then or c.1900. Both the sashes in the service
wing and the bay at the rear dated 1900 have red sandstone lintels.
This could suggest that the service wing is also of 1900 but this seems
unlikely. The former service wing is now known as Ness Strange Stables.
None of the stable buildings to the south-west of the house, except for the
former granary and cartshed (q.v.), are included on this list. Ed. Peter
Reid, Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Vol. II, p. 104.
Listing NGR: SJ3960718897
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings