History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Milestone

A Grade II Listed Building in Barley, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0258 / 52°1'32"N

Longitude: 0.0366 / 0°2'11"E

OS Eastings: 539824

OS Northings: 238335

OS Grid: TL398383

Mapcode National: GBR L99.XQY

Mapcode Global: VHHL0.LB6V

Entry Name: Milestone

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Last Amended: 3 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175423

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162560

Location: Barley, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG8

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Barley

Built-Up Area: Barley

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Barley

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Great Chishall

Listing Text

BARLEY LONDON ROAD
TL 3982 3833 (North side)
Barley
7/104
Milestone
27.5.68 (formerly listed as
Milestone opposite
'The Shop in the Orchard')

- II


One of the 16 milestones on the old road from Cambridge to London set up
by W. Warren in 1728-32 under the bequest in 1586 of Dr. W. Mowse,
Master of Trinity Hall, Cambridge 1552-3 for the upkeep of roads in and
about Cambridge. This, the 14th milestone, is a white freestone pillar
about lm high, square with a rounded pyramidal cap. On upper part of
front face is an iron plate with a segmental head, affixed c.1804
possibly to design of McAdam for the Wadesmill Turnpike Trust. This
reads 'LONDON 37/BARKWAY 2/CAMBRIDGE 14'. Below part of original
inscription remains visible, 'CAMBRIDGE' incised with a low relief
pointing hand and date 1732 in Roman numerals. (W. B. Johnson,
Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire, 1970, p.ll0-11).


Listing NGR: TL3982438335

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.