This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0735 / 51°4'24"N
Longitude: -3.2138 / 3°12'49"W
OS Eastings: 315056
OS Northings: 131168
OS Grid: ST150311
Mapcode National: GBR LW.DPM1
Mapcode Global: FRA 4648.ZQV
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 25 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175444
English Heritage Legacy ID: 270274
Location: Combe Florey, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA4
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: Combe Florey
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST13SE COMBE FLOREY CP
3/63 Church of St Peter and St Paul
Parish Church. A little C13 work, mainly late C15, chancel added circa 1846, restored 1901. Red sandstone random rubble
masonry, mainly red sandstone dressings, tower faced with coursed squared ashlar, slate roofs, double roman tiles on
North aisle. Four bay nave, chancel, 3 bay North aisles, South porch, West tower. Crenellated 3 stage tower with
finials, diagonal buttresses, stair turret in North west corner, 2-light trefoil headed windows, 4-light perpendicular
window with Ham stone dressings over heavily moulded 4 centred arch doorway - all with hood moulds except second stage
windows. 3-light cinquefoil windows flanking porch, two 2-light to East beyond roofed stair projection, 3-light East
end, 3-light also at East end of aisle. North aisle has six early C19 painted windows with Y tracery, two at East end
with cinquefoil rear arches. Gabled South porch with coped verges. Interior: standard perpendicular piers with carved
angel capitals, wagon roofs. Good late C15 bench ends; perpendicular pulpit probably made from rood screen dismantled
when chancel added. Late C15 octagonal font with trefoil decoration on C13 base. 1614 alms box. Cinquefoil niche on
North aisle wall with late C13 inscription above - the heart of a nun, Maud de Merriete was originally inserted here in
what was a chantry chapel and property of the lords of the manor until late C19. Tomb of a knight, Sir John de Merriete
and his two wives early C14. Late C15 brass to Florence Fraunceis and another to Nicholas Fraunceis early C16. Blank
tablet on West wall of North aisle with cartouche, volutes and apron, dedicated to Philippa Fraunceis died 1745.
Chancel window, circa 1846, dedicated to the Rev. Sidney Smith. (Photographs NMR).
Listing NGR: ST1506231170
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings