History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Wootton Courtenay, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.1794 / 51°10'45"N

Longitude: -3.5206 / 3°31'14"W

OS Eastings: 293805

OS Northings: 143343

OS Grid: SS938433

Mapcode National: GBR LG.5XKW

Mapcode Global: VH5K3.XMN6

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 5 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175451

English Heritage Legacy ID: 265407

Location: Wootton Courtenay, West Somerset, Somerset, TA24

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: Wootton Courtenay

Built-Up Area: Wootton Courtenay

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


6/124 The Old Rectory


- II

Rectory, now private dwelling. C16 in origin, subsequently much altered, refenestrated and internally
altered early C19, enlarged mid-late C19, part of C16 wing demolished late C20. Red sandstone random rubble,
part roughcast on south front, slate roofs, hipped and gabled, tall lateral stack rising on north front/
other stone and rendered stacks. Plan: not clear without internal inspection, roughly truncated L-plan
of C16 dwelling with H-plan addition on east front. South front: 2 storeys, 3:1:1:1 bays, gabled cross
wings to first and third bays right, first floor left 12 pane sash window, two 16 pane sash windows, 20
pane windows in cross wings flanking 12-pane window, ground floor 8-pane sash window, canted bay with marginal
glazing bars, entrance, 12 and 20-pane sash windows flanking single storey early C20 glazed loggia infill;
open pediment doorcase, panelled reveals, Adam style fanlight, inserted lights in 6-panel door. Rear
elevation, 2 moulded beams from demolished cross wing reset in porch. Interior: partially sighted. Stick
stair with cut string and mahogany handrail. Roof said to contain 4 collar beam trusses, arched braced
with chamfered purlins and windbraces, and another pair of C16 trusses to main block. Various walls abutting
the property to the south east and north west are remains of demolished buildings. A terrier of 1614
describes a large dwelling, probably with 2 detached kitchens, and extensive land. (VAG Report, unpublished
SRO, August 1979).

Listing NGR: SS9380243341

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.