This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1837 / 54°11'1"N
Longitude: -0.5312 / 0°31'52"W
OS Eastings: 495950
OS Northings: 477433
OS Grid: SE959774
Mapcode National: GBR SNQ2.S0
Mapcode Global: WHGCJ.T37J
Entry Name: Church of St Hilda
Listing Date: 10 October 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175457
English Heritage Legacy ID: 329411
Location: Sherburn, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Sherburn
Built-Up Area: Sherburn (Ryedale)
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sherburn St Hilda
Church of England Diocese: York
SHERBURN ST HILDA'S STREET
SE 97 NE
(east side, off)
6/70 Church of St Hilda
Church. Lower stage of tower, nave and chancel arch early C12; tower arch
and north arcade late C12 - early C13; south arcade, porch and upper stage
of tower rebuilt during restoration of 1909-12 by C Hodgson Fowler for Sir
Tatton Sykes. Squared sandstone, repaired and rebuilt in sandstone ashlar;
slate roof. West tower; 4-bay aisled nave and south porch; chancel, organ
chamber and vestry. 3-stage, buttressed tower on chamfered plinth. Square-
headed west window of 2 cusped lights with panel tracery beneath continuous
hoodmould. Reset corbel head to south. Restored second-stage 2-light
window to south. Paired bell openings recessed in pointed arches beneath
hoodmoulds on all sides. String course to each stage. Cornice, carved with
text from Psalms interspersed with fleurons and beasts; embattled parapet
with blind tracery and armorial shields. Restored north aisle window of 2
lights with Decorated tracery beneath pointed hoodmould and raked parapet.
Restored south aisle window is a cusped lancet beneath crow-stepped parapet.
Gabled south porch has 2-centred chamfered opening with bar stops, beneath
hoodmould. Much worn sundial above, and reset trefoil stone in west return.
Round-arched south doorway of 3 orders incorporating reset beakhead
mouldings. Double doors, dated 1912 on lock plate. One 2-light and two
3-light windows with cusped intersecting tracery and corbel-stopped
hoodmoulds. Plain parapet. Buttressed north side, on chamfered plinth, has
shouldered north door and 4 windows similar to west window. Eaves cornice
and plain parapet. Chancel on double-chamfered plinth has blocked original
priest's door beneath coved hoodmould. Original low side cusped lancet
beneath inserted 2-light Decorated window to west, and similar 3-light
window with restored mullions to east. Window further east is C20 rebuild.
Organ chamber gable end projects on north side with square-headed 2-light
window, and vestry in chancel angle. East end has offset angle buttresses
and 3-light Decorated window, sill band and hoodmould. Coped gables with
terminal gablets and crosses.
Interior:2-centred tower arch of 3 orders, the inner 2 on slender shafts.
Moulded capitals and coved hoodmould. Original north arcade of double-
chamfered pointed arches, round piers with octagonal moulded capitals and
tall plinths. Traces of painted decoration on some columns, and piscina on
north side of easternmost pier. Pointed, double-chamfered south arcade with
quatrefoil piers, moulded capitals and continuous corbelled hoodmould.
Round chancel arch of 3 orders on triple responds with primitive voluted
north capitals and scalloped south capitals incorporating religious symbols.
Outer arch with lobed chevrons interrupted by defaced head at centre.
Pillar piscina at foot of north respond. Carved furniture, donated by Sir
Tatton Sykes, includes fine rood screen and choir stalls with creatures in
flowers and foliage, pulpit, altar and pewing. Square Norman font, cable-
moulded, and with arcading enclosing palm trees. Also C20 octagonal font
with tall, richly-carved cover suspended from belfry floor. Brass
chandeliers with leafy fronds. Rich nave roof has embattled ties,
arch-braced collars and traceried spandrels; ashlar pieces at eaves; moulded
and embattled double wall plate. Chancel roof panelled with bosses;
principal rafters rest on angel corbels with shields.
Listing NGR: SE9595077433
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings