History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret of Antioch

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bygrave, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0092 / 52°0'33"N

Longitude: -0.1568 / 0°9'24"W

OS Eastings: 526603

OS Northings: 236134

OS Grid: TL266361

Mapcode National: GBR J6L.WPX

Mapcode Global: VHGNG.7RFL

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret of Antioch

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175479

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162209

Location: Bygrave, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG7

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Bygrave

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bygrave

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Ashwell

Listing Text

TL 23 NE BYGRAVE BYGRAVE

4/78 Church of
27.5.68 St. Margaret of
Antioch

- II*

Parish Church. Small building with C12 nave and S door. C14 chancel.
Most windows C15. Clunch walls with brick and flint rubble, plastered.
Roman tiles to NE and SE nave quoins. Slate roofs. W gable end has
semi-octagonal stair turret with timber bell cage. Clunch quoins.
Chamfered plinth. 2-light square headed cinquefoiled window. Similar
windows to nave and chancel N and S walls. C17 blocked N door with key
and impost blocks. S door is C12: single attached shafts with scalloped
capitals. Roll-moulded arch. Porch is probably C19. Chancel has late C15
E window: 3 cinquefoiled lights with 6 stepped trefoiled lights above.
C14 door to N chancel wal. S wall of choir with 3-light depressed arch
window. Interior. C19 roofs to nave arid choir. Late C14 chancel arch
with attached round shafts. C14 piscina. The chancel screen is C15: 5
ogee-headed arches in open traceried upper part, loft and canopy
missing. C17 royal crest. C15 poppy-headed chancel stalls. Mid C17 altar
rails. C17 pulpit with re-used C15 panels. Most important feature: C15
font at W end. Octagonal, the panels with carved instruments of the
Passion, base with angels bearing crests. W and N chancel walls have
fragments of C14 paintings. (RCHM, 1910; Pevsner(1977)).


Listing NGR: TL2660336134

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Old Rectory
    Bygrave, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG7
  • II Manor House
    Bygrave, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG7

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.