History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Docwra Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Pirton, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9699 / 51°58'11"N

Longitude: -0.3335 / 0°20'0"W

OS Eastings: 514577

OS Northings: 231468

OS Grid: TL145314

Mapcode National: GBR H5M.DHR

Mapcode Global: VHGNK.5RJ7

Entry Name: Docwra Manor

Listing Date: 9 June 1952

Last Amended: 24 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175493

English Heritage Legacy ID: 163175

Location: Pirton, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG5

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Pirton

Built-Up Area: Pirton

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Pirton

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Hexton

Listing Text

PIRTON HITCHIN ROAD
TL 1431 (East side)

7/165 No. 1 (Docwra Manor)
9.6.52 (formerly listed as
The Old Hall)

- II

Remaining wing of a larger house, now extended as a house. Built 1609
for Thomas Docwra (dated armorial plaque formerly on W front reset above
principal 1st floor fireplace) presumably as a W parlour-wing to an
older probably aisled hall-house on E said to have been burned down at
beginning of C19 (Newbery (1983)11). Wing converted to an Inn in C19.
Large E extensions in later C20 not of special interest. Limestone
rubble and flint walling with red brick corners and moulded limestone
windows. N gable roughcast. Masonry walling returns only a short way
along each end of the E wall of the wing, the rest being timber framed
with close-spaced studs and red brick infill where exposed beside the
2-storeys new extension. A large, 2-storeys crosswing planned with 2
large rooms to each floor and a lobby between them with a staircase at
its W end. An original large projecting chimney on W side heated the N
room on each floor. The S part unheated until a corresponding brick W
chimney added in C18. Entrance now by a single-storey flat roofed brick
and flint parapeted porch on W of C19 or C20 date, with arched doorway
and double doors. Upper rooms lit by tall 3-lights ovolo-moulded stone
mullioned window in upper part of each gable end. Wooden C19
ovolo-moulded 3-light sash window to ground floor of gable at each end.
Small 1st floor windows on W side retain their ovolo-moulded stone
surrounds but are lacking mullions. Lower sill of one near middle
indicates a stair window. Original large chimney has sloping offsets, a
cross worked in flints, and a moulded brick cornice. This chimney serves
a ground floor stone fireplace with 4-centred arched head and moulded
jambs. Over the fireplace a plaque with a shield of the Docwra arms and
inscription '1609/EN DIEV EST TOVT'. In C19 The Old Oak Public House.
(RCHM (1911)164-5: VCH (1912)44-5: Pevsner (1977)270: Newbery (1983)11:
RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL1457731468

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.