This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6024 / 52°36'8"N
Longitude: -2.6461 / 2°38'45"W
OS Eastings: 356338
OS Northings: 300708
OS Grid: SJ563007
Mapcode National: GBR BN.958F
Mapcode Global: WH9DD.BV69
Entry Name: Kenley Hall
Listing Date: 24 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175503
English Heritage Legacy ID: 258852
Location: Kenley, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Kenley
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Kenley
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
KENLEY C.P. KENLEY
SJ 50 SE
4/69 Kenley Hall
Manor house, now farmhouse. Circa 1639 for William Carter, with later
additions and alterations. Roughly coursed gritstone rubble with red
sandstone dressings, machine tile roof. 2 storeys over semi-basement
kitchen, attics; 3-bay front; 2- 3- and 4-light double-chamfered
mullion windows; gabled dormer in roof slope to centre; tall late
C19 gabled red brick porch with lateral steps to left between second and
third bays from left gives access to semi-basement kitchen and principal
floor; prominent integral stack to centre of back wall, formerly with
3 octagonal brick shafts, now has 3 late C19 rebated red brick shafts,
subsidiary integral red brick end stack behind ridge to left; gables
re-built in late C19 red brick. 2-storey kitchen range at right-angles
to rear added c. 1913. Interior: timber framed cross-walls. (square
panels) to principal and first floors, chamfered ceiling beams throughout
with bar stops; fireplace in main room on principal floor has wooden
lintel with inscription "William Carter 1639" carved on it, moulded
wooden overmantel; also in this room some contemporary oak panelling
with inset cupboards (butterfly hinges) and fleur-de-lys pointed strap
hinges (dated 1639) from former doors; C19 open-well staircase probably
in position of original staircase; 3-bay roof also reconstructed in
late C19 but retains original double purlins and straight windbraces.
V.C.H. VIII (1968) pp.94-5.
Listing NGR: SJ5633800708
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings