History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West Barn at Rectory Farm

A Grade II* Listed Building in Pirton, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9737 / 51°58'25"N

Longitude: -0.3402 / 0°20'24"W

OS Eastings: 514107

OS Northings: 231886

OS Grid: TL141318

Mapcode National: GBR H5L.BS8

Mapcode Global: VHGNK.1NZ9

Entry Name: West Barn at Rectory Farm

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Last Amended: 24 October 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175545

English Heritage Legacy ID: 163184

Location: Pirton, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG5

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Pirton

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Pirton

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Hexton

Listing Text

PIRTON SHILLINGTON ROAD
TL 1431 (North side)

7/174 West Barn at
27.5.68 Rectory Farm

GV II*

Tithe Barn. C15 or early C16. Timber frame on sill of narrow red brick,
dark weatherboarded, W side has exposed frame with early C17 red brick
infill. Steep pitched roof half hipped now slated. A tall, 10-bays
aisled rectorial tithe barn lying N-S on W side of farmstead facing E.
Double doors in 3rd bay from each end. Raised threshing floor in 2 S
bays. Low hipped extension on S end. Measures 135ft x 37ft, with narrow
aisles and wide nave. Peninsular brick sills remain in some bays,
carrying the sill plate across the aisle to take the foot of the arcade
posts. Heavy jowled arcade-posts and jowled wall-posts. 5 studs in walls
to each bay with one large tension brace to each bay cut into outside of
studs. Holes in wallplate for wattle-and-daub infill replaced by brick
infill with 2 rows of ventilating holes. Heavy aisle tie-beams and
passing brace up to back of arcade post. Heavy slightly curved long
braces to cambered tie-beams, and heavy curved braces to arcade plate.
Edge-halved scarf joints with bridled butts in arcade plate. Single
clasped-purlin to each slope of nave roof carried on trusses with
collars and inclined queen-struts. Long slender flat rafter as if for
thatched roof. Gable-end frame has central post flanked by a mid-height
rail jointed in-line. Slender tension braces from main posts.
Hip-rafters and collar link cantelevered ends of purlin. (RCHM
(1911)163: VCH (1912)45).


Listing NGR: TL1410731886

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.