History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Leighton and Eaton Constantine, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6531 / 52°39'11"N

Longitude: -2.5968 / 2°35'48"W

OS Eastings: 359721

OS Northings: 306315

OS Grid: SJ597063

Mapcode National: GBR BQ.5Z9Y

Mapcode Global: WH9D7.2KPY

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 13 June 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175563

English Heritage Legacy ID: 258862

Location: Leighton and Eaton Constantine, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Leighton and Eaton Constantine

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Eaton Constantine and Wroxeter St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Leighton

Listing Text

LEIGHTON AND EATON EATON CONSTANTINE
SJ 50 NE
CONSTANTINE C.P.
1/78 Church of St Mary
13.6.58
II

Parish church. 1847-8 on site of medieval church. Roughly coursed
limestone and conglomerate rubble with ashlar dressings, machine tile
roofs with fishscale bands, coped verges and moulded eaves cornices.
Nave, chancel, west bellcote, south porch and north vestry. Nave:
buttressed in 4 bays, broad lancets with hoodmoulds and gabled stone
porch in first bay from west on south, 2 lancets to west wall linked
by single hoodmould with quatrefoil window above, gabled stone bellcote
housing single bell. Chancel: in 2 bays, lancets with hoodmoulds on
south and east window of 3 stepped lancets under continuous hoodmould,
gabled vestry to north. Interior: arch-braced King-post roof in 4
bays to nave and one of 2 bays to chancel; west gallery supported
on 2 cast-iron columns and pointed chancel arch with corbelled
responds; good complete set of mid-C19 box pews with small brass
name plates of local families engraved in cursive lettering, pulpit,
reading desk and chancel fittings (including floor tiles) all con-
temporary; mid-C12 font remains from medieval church, circular with
moulded pedestal and ornamental band to bottom of basin; stained
glass in east window c.1888 and in chancel south windows c.1905;
2 chairs in sanctuary incorporate decorative carved panels of late
C15/early C16 date and a board on one of the chancel benches is
lettered: "THOMAS BATHOE CHURCHWARDEN 1634". Eaton Constantine was
originally a dependent chapelry of Leighton but became a separate
parish in the later Middle Ages; the old church was taken down in
1847 and the new one erected at a cost of £775. B.o.E., p.124;
D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 7 (1905), p.571;
Post Office Directory of Shropshire (1856), p.46.


Listing NGR: SJ5972106315

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.