This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7897 / 51°47'22"N
Longitude: 0.0985 / 0°5'54"E
OS Eastings: 544833
OS Northings: 212193
OS Grid: TL448121
Mapcode National: GBR LD9.MQX
Mapcode Global: VHHM6.N8GW
Entry Name: The Plume of Feathers Public House at Junction with Gilston Lane
Listing Date: 4 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175577
English Heritage Legacy ID: 159898
Location: Gilston, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM20
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Gilston
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Gilston with Eastwick
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 4412 GILSTON EASTWICK ROAD
9/8 The Plume of Feathers P H
at junction with Gilston
House, now a P H. C17. Wide, timberframed, plastered, 2 storeys
house, facing S. Steep old red tile gabled roof. Brick plinth
and large red brick central chimney with 4 conjoined diagonal
shafts. Narrower timberframed, plastered, 2 storeys, early C18,
E extension with higher painted plinth and lower roof ridge.
Original single storey rear service wing at NE with steep tiled
roof and cranked N gable in brickwork. Later, hip roofed, 2
storeys, NW rear wing and N end lean-to, now clad in wainy-edge
boarding. 2-unit, baffle-entry plan originally with best room on
E and 4 heated rooms. Stair now within original rear wing, but
possibly was on N side of chimney. E extension gave a parlour
with cross beam and N lateral fireplace. S front has chevron
patterned panelled pargetting. 3 3-light early C18 wooden
mullioned windows with iron casements. Central plank door in
heavy frame under large timber porch with hipped tiled roof and
seats. Single storey shallow 3-light canted bay window with slate
roof to right of porch. W gable fronting Gilston Lane has
plaster lined as ashlar, a 3-light mullioned window to each
floor, and raking brick plinth. Interior of room on E of stack
has chamfered and ogee stopped joists and axial beam, and
chamfered lintel to open fire. W room plainer with squared
joists. Side purlin roof. Mentioned in Justices records in 1697
(VCH (1912) 319n). Used for holding manor courts from 1702 (VCH
(1912) 321). Known as the Plummer-Ward's Arms in 1849 when sold
as part of the Gilston Park Estate (sale particulars in HRO).
(RCHM (1911) 92).
Listing NGR: TL4483312193
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings