This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.996 / 51°59'45"N
Longitude: 0.0382 / 0°2'17"E
OS Eastings: 540030
OS Northings: 235022
OS Grid: TL400350
Mapcode National: GBR L9P.Y6Q
Mapcode Global: VHHL6.M326
Entry Name: Bury Farm House
Listing Date: 27 May 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175625
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162590
Location: Nuthampstead, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG8
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Nuthampstead
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Barkway
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
NUTHAMPSTEAD BURY END
TL 43 NW (North side)
4/133 Bury Farm House
House. 1422 origins,when in possession of the Crown. Part rebuilt mid
C16 for R. Chester, extended early C17. Stacks inserted, floored and
raised later in C17. Refronted late C18. Some timber frame, largely
rebuilt in C17 and C18 red brick with black brick diapering. Steeply
pitched tiled roof. Original hall was to right with storeyed parlour/
chamber to left rebuilt in C16, extended further to left in C17. Now
2 storeys, cellars and attics. Entrance front appears as 4 unequal
bays, broader spacing to right. To left of centre a 4 panelled part
glazed architraved door, timber portico on octagonal columns,
pedimental tiled head. Rendered plinth. 16 pane sashes, deeply
recessed on ground floor, much shallower reveals on first floor which
was originally jettied on later wings, cambered heads to ground floor
and first floor right. Right gable end large C17 external stack with
rebuilt capping. Left gable end is C17 brick over cement render with
a large C17 external stack with offsets. To rear 3 gabled wings.
Behind original hall to left is a short projection with a lower
separate steeply hipped roof. C18 brick facing with a ground floor 3
light small pane flush frame casement, first floor a small early 2 light
part latticed recessed casement, cambered heads. Projecting from this is
a short C17 brick wing with a large internal end stack, rebuilt capping.
To right are 2 C17 gabled wings, that towards centre for stairs, refaced
in C18, steeply pitched roofs. A ground floor 3 light small pane
casement in a deep recess, an entrance with a half glazed door in a deep
reveal. To rear centre a short lean-to projection with 2 light casements.
Interior: square cut ovolo moulded ornamentally jowled post in original
hall, axial and cross axial ovolo and chamfered bearers, C17 newel
stair, chamfered brick depressed arched fireplace, cambered tie beams,
clasped purlin roof. In attic remains of simple panel wall painting
flank steps up, supporting timbers remain for C17 belvedere. Attached
to left from front and set back is an C18 1 storey dairy/kitchen
addition with 3 light casements, dentilled brick eaves, gable end
stack, kneelers to rounded brick coped parapet, entrance to rear.
Beyond this extends a further lean-to outshut with red brick to front,
weatherboarding to rear. (VCH 1914: RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL4003035022
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings