This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.663 / 51°39'46"N
Longitude: -0.3905 / 0°23'25"W
OS Eastings: 511419
OS Northings: 197246
OS Grid: TQ114972
Mapcode National: GBR 47.VLH
Mapcode Global: VHFSM.5GYJ
Entry Name: Former London Orphan Asylum
Listing Date: 15 September 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175648
English Heritage Legacy ID: 158203
Location: Watford, Hertfordshire, WD24
Electoral Ward/Division: Tudor
Built-Up Area: Watford
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Watford St John
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TQ 19 NW 4/21
Former London Orphan Asylum
(Formerly listed as "Government Offices" Reed School (Orphan Asylum))
1871 by Henry Dawson. Former London Orphan Asylum. Extensive Gothic group of
institutional buildings built for 5-600 orphans and 100 servants for £63,000. No
plaster was used to save on maintenance. Stock brick with red brick, terracotta,
red sandstone and Bath stone decorative details. Slate roofs. Large central
administration block. South facing, with Headmasters House to left and on each
side a 3-sided quadrangle, open to the south, large boys' quadrangle to left,
smaller girls' quadrangle to right. A further large boys' quadrangle to the rear
of the front boys' quadrangle is not included in -the listing. Central range 3-storey
and attic, 5 window with 125' tower over centre. Hipped roof with bargeboarded
bulls-eye dormers. Gothic arched porch in centre with 1st and 2nd floor windows
united in stone surround with Gothic head. Tower brick, square surround with
corners chamfered and 2-light openings at bell-stage. Above heavily moulded eaves
broken by a clock with bargeboarded gable. Octagonal slated spire with timber open
lantern. Flanking centre are 2-storey stone projecting bays, outer windows paired
with Gothic arched heads. 2nd floor windows triple. Heavy bracketed eaves cornice.
The West (boys) quadrangle is larger and more elaborate than the girls' quadrangle.
Basic unit 2-storey with steep roof, 7 windows. Centre emphasised with 2-sided
stone oriels at 1st floor and hipped, canted-side gable above. Ground floor open
arcade on stone columns with naturalistic capitals. Two units to west side, one
to east. North range has single storey arcade flanking low 2 gabled 2-storey build-
ing with open ground floor (the glazing, floor, and roof (including former lantern
spirelet) destroyed by fire 1989). Girls' quadrangle (East) has paired windows
with coloured brick relieving arches over ground floor windows and blocked 5 bay
arcade on east range, brick piers and roundels in spandrels. Five window sides,
10 window centre.
Builder 29.1871 591. Architect 18.2.1871.
Listing NGR: TQ1141997246
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings