This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0801 / 51°4'48"N
Longitude: -3.17 / 3°10'11"W
OS Eastings: 318139
OS Northings: 131847
OS Grid: ST181318
Mapcode National: GBR LY.D8Q6
Mapcode Global: FRA 4678.JTF
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas of Canterbury
Listing Date: 25 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175656
English Heritage Legacy ID: 270300
Location: Cothelstone, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA4
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: Cothelstone
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST13SE COTHELSTONE CP
3/89 Church of St Thomas of Canterbury
Parish Church. Some C12 and C13 work, mainly C15, restored circa 1864. Red sandstone with limestone and Ham stone dressings, tiled roofs. Nave 2 bay
South aisle, South porch, West tower, heated vestry North of chancel.
3-stage tower, Victorian addition of crenellated parapet between original
finials below 3 square headed openings and string course, Decorated 2-light
bell-openings, diagonal buttresses, stair turret with cornical stone spire
in North-east corner. 2-light Perpendicular windows in South front, 3-light
at East end and North-west end of nave, 4-light to North-east. Porch with
moulded pointed arch, piscina inside, pointed arch doorway into nave.
Interior: rendered. Norman pillar in South aisle with Perpendicular arcades, Western respond a moulded corbel circa 1200. Good carved bench ends C16.
Very fine Perpendicular octagonal font with traces of paint and early C17
carved wooden pulpit with contemporary wooden 3 bay arcade forming lecturn. Painted and gilded stone tablets in chancel, on right to John Stawell died
1661 with split pediment, putti and apron, simpler version to left John
Stawell died 1603. In South chapel two fine tombs; Sir Mathew de Stawell,
died 1379, and his wife Elizabeth, the latter has 2 squirrels at her feet
and an angel at her head, York stone with traces of colour; Sir John
Stawell, died 1603, and his wife, in alabaster. Fragments of good medieval
painted glass with figures of saints in the upper lights of the South aisle windows and at South-west end of nave. (West and North windows by Clayton
and Bell, 1865.) A fine collection of fittings and memorials in a largely unaltered interior.
(SANHS Proceedings vol 44, 1898; G Stanwell, History of a Quantock Family,
1910) photograph in NMR).
Listing NGR: ST1813931847
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings