This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9946 / 51°59'40"N
Longitude: 0.0548 / 0°3'17"E
OS Eastings: 541175
OS Northings: 234900
OS Grid: TL411349
Mapcode National: GBR L9Q.W4N
Mapcode Global: VHHL6.W4V8
Entry Name: Little Cokenach
Listing Date: 3 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175660
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162596
Location: Nuthampstead, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG8
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Nuthampstead
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Barkway
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 43 SW
6/139 Little Cokenach
House. C16 or early C17. Raised, floored, cased and extended in 1837 for
W.H. Clinton of Cokenach (q.v., Barkway Civil Parish). Altered C20.
Timber frame. Raised, cased and extended in red brick. Rendered. Tiled
roof. Originally 3 bays and probably part open to roof. Extended to
right by 1 bay. Now 2 storeys and attic. To front a large early C19 red
brick external stack with a double plinth and 2 C20 pointed arched
windows, kneelers to coped offsets with chamfered arrises. Scattered 2
and 3 light recessed C19 and C20 casements. A plank door in added bay to
right. Dentilled brick eaves. C19 cross axial ridge stack to right of
centre. Extruded right end stack with tumbled-in tiled offsets,
chamfered arrises, twin shafts. Left gable end finialed bargeboards. To
rear left a C20 red brick 1 storey outshut, rounded at corner, C20
weatherboarded lean-to addition to centre. First floor 2 and 3 light
casements. Dentilled brick eaves. Two 2 light dormers with raking heads.
Interior: exposed framing, jowled posts, tension braces, stop chamfered
joists, clasped purlin roof. Attached to rear of C19 bay are C19 former
stables and sheds: a red brick bay with a gauged white brick round
headed opening in a relieving arch, weatherboarding beyond with a
pantiled roof. To rear an L shaped open range with cast-iron
colonnettes, hipped roof. Attached walls with doubly triangulated coping
with rolled heads. A moat to SW marks medieval manorial site. (VCH 1914:
Listing NGR: TL4117534900
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings