This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7948 / 51°47'41"N
Longitude: 0.0947 / 0°5'40"E
OS Eastings: 544549
OS Northings: 212757
OS Grid: TL445127
Mapcode National: GBR LD9.DR8
Mapcode Global: VHHM6.L4DY
Entry Name: High Gilston
Listing Date: 19 September 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175702
English Heritage Legacy ID: 159913
Location: Gilston, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM20
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Gilston
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Gilston with Eastwick
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 4412 GILSTON GILSTON LANE
9/5 High Gilston
Village school, now a house. '1856' on quatrefoil datestone on
porch. For William Hodgson as part of Gilston Park Estate.
Gothic ornamental red brick small village school facing W, now a.
house. Steep old red tile roofs with tall moulded chimneys at
junction of tall single storey schoolroom on N and 2 storeys
cross wing on S. Tall chimney shafts unusually grouped into 2
elongated octagonal shafts above moulded base. Steep gabled,
bargeboarded porch projecting in angle of wings. Front wall
decorated with black headers in diamond and diaper patterns.
Heavy scissors bargeboards to porch, trefoil pierced and central
moulded pandant. More elaborate pierced and cusped bargeboard
and pendant to cross wing. 2-light and 3-light tall timber
mullioned windows with gauged arches, flush stone sills and
diamond lattice cast iron windows survive in cross wing.
Schoolroomconverted to one and a half storeys with box dormer
and small paned sash windows. Porch doorway altered to window.
Built as a Public Elementary School (mixed) for 39 children
(Kelly (1914) 105). Founded by William Hodgson and in use 1856-
1959 (WEA III (1970) 65). A handsome C19 Gothic schoolhouse in
the style of the Gilston Park Estate buildings under the Hodgson
brothers but with added elaboration in the bargeboards and the
diaper work in black headers. Part of a picturesque group of
estate buildings with School Cottages (1852) to S.
Listing NGR: TL4454912757
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings