This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8928 / 50°53'34"N
Longitude: -2.7745 / 2°46'28"W
OS Eastings: 345624
OS Northings: 110652
OS Grid: ST456106
Mapcode National: GBR MH.S0WS
Mapcode Global: FRA 562R.2Y6
Entry Name: Eastham's Gate Farmhouse
Listing Date: 18 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175721
English Heritage Legacy ID: 262411
Location: Merriott, South Somerset, Somerset, TA18
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Merriott
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Crewkerne
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST41SE MERRIOTT CP YEOVIL ROAD (North side)
3/161 Eastham's Gate Farmhouse
Former toll house, now farmhouse. Early C19 extended later C19. Ham stone cut and squared; hipped Welsh slate roofs,
with plain gable to rear extension; brick chimney stacks. Two storeys, 2-bay roadside elevation, of which bay 1 is a
double chamfered projection. Pointed arched windows with 'Y'-traceried casements diamond leaded, with 3 windows to
first floor in bay 1, and 2 on the chamfered faces ground floor: to left of upper bay 2 a segmental-arched recesss with
sill, probably for the toll-charge board; to ground floor centre bay 1 signs of a blocked doorway with shallow-pitched
roofed porch. South-west side elevation has signs of similar blocked doorway and a blocked window above. Rear extension
of single bay having 6-pane sash windows, and to right a studded boarded C20 door set in late C19 open porch.
North-east elevation has matching sash windows in the extension, and two lean-to buildings. Interior not seen. This
section of the old London-Exeter Road was turnpiked by the Chard Trust in 1753, but was transferred to the smaller
Crewkarne Trust in 1825: the road immediately north-east was diverted in 1831, and this toll house probably dates from
this period (Bentley B.J and Murless J.B, Somerset Roads, SIAS, 1985).
Listing NGR: ST4562410652
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings