This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7133 / 52°42'47"N
Longitude: -2.8757 / 2°52'32"W
OS Eastings: 340935
OS Northings: 313204
OS Grid: SJ409132
Mapcode National: GBR BC.22PL
Mapcode Global: WH8BR.S2S8
Entry Name: The Cross Gates Hotel
Listing Date: 18 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175723
English Heritage Legacy ID: 258958
Location: Ford, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Ford
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Alberbury
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SJ 4013-4113 FORD C.P. A 458, Ford
13/53 The Cross Gates Hotel
Inn. Dated 1724, built for Thomas Wilde, possibly incorporating an earlier
core. Painted brick; hipped C20 machine tile roof. L-plan. 2 storeys and
attic. East front: rendered plinth, plat bands above ground- and first-floor
windows, parapeted gable end at rear, and 5 gabled dormers with 2-light
wooden casements; brick ridge stack off-centre to right and brick ridge
stack and integral brick end stack to rear wing at left. 4-window front;
C19 two- and 3-light wooden mullioned and transomed segmental-headed casements;
half-glazed door with 2 lower flush panels between first and second windows
from left with 2-part rectangular overlight and early C19 doorcase with
panelled pilasters, and tall shaped brackets supporting hood; segmental-
headed half-glazed door to right with 2-part rectangular overlight.
Blocked doorway between second and third windows from right. Moulded
datestone beteween first and second first-floor windows from left:
2 large probably C19 sign boards flanking left-hand ground-floor windows.
The right-hand part seems to have been built at a slightly different
date from the rest (see break in plat bands). Probably C19 painted rubble
lean-to addition to right with large 3 light window to front. Left-hand
return front: windows; gabled dormers, first-floor cross-casements,
and ground-floor windows altered with probably late C19 canted bays;
central ground floor sign board. One-storey late C19 addition to left
with integral brick end stack and 3-light segmental-headed casement to
front. 2 gabled wings in angle at rear. Interior not inspected.
An inn on this site is first mentioned in 1643 when it was owned by the
Morris family. Thomas Wilde bought it in 1712 and is said to have enlarged
it by incorporating it with a nearby house at right angles to the north and
producing the present plan. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.227.
Listing NGR: SJ4093513204
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings