History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James the Great

A Grade II* Listed Building in Fitzhead, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0481 / 51°2'53"N

Longitude: -3.2571 / 3°15'25"W

OS Eastings: 311974

OS Northings: 128391

OS Grid: ST119283

Mapcode National: GBR LT.GBN3

Mapcode Global: FRA 462B.T25

Entry Name: Church of St James the Great

Listing Date: 25 January 1956

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175726

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270311

Location: Fitzhead, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA4

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Fitzhead

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Fitzhead

Listing Text

ST12NW FITZHEAD CP
CHURCH ROAD (EAST SIDE)
3/100 Church of St James the Great
(formerly listed as Church of St
James)

25.1.56

GV II*

Parish church. C15 tower restored 1883, nave and chancel rebuilt 1849, heated vestry added 1863, North aisle added
1887, Red sandstone, Ham stone dressing, tiled roofs. Three bay Nave with North aisle, extended East for vestry, West
tower. Three stage crenellated tower with diagonal buttresses, 4 centred arch doorway, late C19 double doors, square
headed hoodmould with leaf decoration in the spandrels, late C19, 3-light Perpendicular window directly above 2-light
bell openings with Somerset tracery, square, crenellated stair turret in South-east corner. Entrance to Church through
West door. 2- and 3- and 4-light Perpendicular windows with lancet to East of chancel door. Interior: rendered. The
main feature of the church is the very fine late C15 rood screen, partially restored. The unusual large central opening
was made in 1849 when the screen was placed at the West end of the Church and benches added. It was restored to the
chancel arch circa 1908. Standard Perpendicular piers. Mid C19 font, stone pulpit, and bench pews. Thirteen medieval
sculptured faces at West end, taken from earlier church? (Jeboult, West Somerset, 1893; photographs in NMR).


Listing NGR: ST1197428391

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.