This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.87 / 50°52'12"N
Longitude: -2.7796 / 2°46'46"W
OS Eastings: 345238
OS Northings: 108126
OS Grid: ST452081
Mapcode National: GBR MG.TKM8
Mapcode Global: FRA 562S.T39
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 18 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175735
English Heritage Legacy ID: 262415
Location: Misterton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA18
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Misterton
Built-Up Area: Crewkerne
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Misterton
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST40NE MISTERTON CP CHURCH LANE (West side)
6/165 Church of St Leonard
Anglican parish chuch. 1840, by Sampson Kempthorne, architect. Ham stone cut and squared, ashlar dressings: Welsh slate
roof between stepped coped gables, with western bell turret. Two-cell plan of single-bay chancel and 5-bay nave, with
south porch, gothic revival. Chancel has chamfered plinth, with a 3-light east window with label, traceried in C15
style. Lean-to vestry on north side with pointed arch 'Y'-traceried diamond leaded casement in east wall. A
3-cusped-light flat arched window on south side, with simple 4-centre-arched doorway to left. Nave has plinth; plain
chamfered lancet windows without labels, that to bay 2 on south side having high cill to accommodate porch to match,
with 4-centre moulded outer arch and iron gate. Inside a plainly detailed design. Coved boarded chancel ceiling, blue
with gold stars. Typical communion rail of period set across the plain pointed chancel arch. Nave ceiling has queenpost
roof trusses. Rear gallery with organ, carried on 2 cast-iron columns. Most fittings of 1840, but pulpit replaced in
1948. One 1797 memorial plaque on north wall, all other memorials C19, mostly post-1840. On rear wall a hatchment of
Charles II dated 1660, but overpainted for William in 1695. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, p67).
Listing NGR: ST4523808126
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings