This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9722 / 51°58'19"N
Longitude: -0.1511 / 0°9'4"W
OS Eastings: 527098
OS Northings: 232025
OS Grid: TL270320
Mapcode National: GBR J75.BMB
Mapcode Global: VHGNN.BPGH
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 27 May 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175746
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162238
Location: Clothall, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG7
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Clothall
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Clothall
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 23 SE CLOTHALL ASHANGER LANE
6/83 Church of
27.5.68 St. Mary
Parish church. C12 origin for nave. Mid C14 S chapel. Later C14 chancel
and SW tower. Windows mostly C15. Flint rubble. Some red brick and cement
render. Stone dressings. Slate roof to chapel. Pyramid plain tile roof
to tower. The tower is 2 stages, the lower stage a porch with a deeply
splayed hooded door. Deep stepped buttresses. Belfry with single hooded
trefoiled lights. S chapel has a single and a 2-light C14 window on S
and 3-light restored window on E. Chancel has 2 C15 restored windows on
S wall and a blocked C14 door. E window is C15, 3-lights, no cusps. Late
C19 vestry addition on N side. N nave wall with 1 restored and 1 original
C15 window. C17 red brick buttresses. 2-light C15 W window. Interior:
original C14 S door in wave-moulded surround. Aisle-less nave with C15
low-pitched crown post roof. Arch to S chapel with triple canted shafts.
Later C14 hooded and cinquefoiled piscina. 2-bay C14 chapel roof. The
chancel has a C14 restored arch and a mid-C14 trefoiled piscina. E window
has good re-set C15 medallioned glass with painted birds in the diamond
panes. C12 table-top font at W end of nave with C17 wooden font cover.
Brasses in chancel: an early C16 priest;John Vynter (d.1404) and
John Wright (d.1519), both Rectors of Clothall. (Pevsner (1977)).
Listing NGR: TL2709832025
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings