History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block Approximately 175 Metres North-East of Leighton Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Leighton and Eaton Constantine, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6433 / 52°38'35"N

Longitude: -2.5714 / 2°34'16"W

OS Eastings: 361434

OS Northings: 305211

OS Grid: SJ614052

Mapcode National: GBR BR.6KNP

Mapcode Global: WH9D7.GTRG

Entry Name: Stable Block Approximately 175 Metres North-East of Leighton Hall

Listing Date: 29 January 1952

Last Amended: 24 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175764

English Heritage Legacy ID: 258884

Location: Leighton and Eaton Constantine, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Leighton and Eaton Constantine

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Leighton-under-Wrekin St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Leighton

Listing Text

LEIGHTON AND EATON LEIGHTON
SJ 60 NW
CONSTANTINE C.P.
2/99 Stable block approx.
175m north-east of
29.1.52 Leighton Hall (Previously
listed as Stables to
the East of Leighton
Lodge)
GV II

Stable block, now partly converted to domestic accommodation. 1778,
remodelled 1888 with early and mid-C20 additions and alterations. Red
brick, plain tile roofs with raised verges. Original square plan
around central courtyard, extended to south in late C19. Two levels
with single-storey south range, dentilled eaves cornice; round-headed
archway to front with raised keystone and pointed stone voussoirs
flanked by oculi with stone inscription panels, left with the initials
"JK" and the Kynnersley family coat-of-arms, right with the date "1778",
roundel above; pyramidal roof surmounted by clock tower with octagonal
wooden cupola and lead cap; ranges to left and right converted to
domestic accommodation, blind round-headed stable arches with early
and mid-C20 casements inserted, C20 doors and contemporary red brick
ridge stacks. Inside the courtyard the cambered arches of the north
range have been infilled and C20 casements inserted but the east range
retains a number of segmental-headed cast-iron windows. Interior: of
all ranges considerably altered during C20.


Listing NGR: SJ6143405211

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.