History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Ebberston and Yedingham, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2042 / 54°12'15"N

Longitude: -0.6318 / 0°37'54"W

OS Eastings: 489339

OS Northings: 479580

OS Grid: SE893795

Mapcode National: GBR SM1T.0N

Mapcode Global: WHGC9.8LCC

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 10 October 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175775

English Heritage Legacy ID: 329438

Location: Ebberston and Yedingham, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Ebberston and Yedingham

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: West Heslerton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Yedingham

Listing Text

YEDINGHAM B 1258
SE 87 NE
(east side, off)
4/97 Church of St John the
Baptist
10.10 66
GV II
Church. 1862-63. By William Butterfield and Tuke of Bradford. Dressed
sandstone with sandstone ashlar dressings and stone slate roof. West
bellcote; 3-bay nave; chancel. Gabled bellcote on wide, west-end pilaster
buttress, with round-arched openings. Nave south side has pilaster angle
buttresses and round-arched doorway of 2 orders on paired columns with leaf
capitals. The outer arch is chamfered, the inner one of reused C12 blank
lobed moulding. Windows are round-arched on side shafts with leaf capitals,
the easternmost of paired recessed lights with voluted centre shaft.
Moulded impost band forms sill band. North side windows repeat those on
south side. Chancel has 2 windows of cusped lancets with dwarf offset
buttress to east. Moulded sill and eaves bands. One window of paired
cusped lancet on north side. Pointed east window of 2 cusped lights with
quatrefoil tracery, over stepped-up sill band. Coped gables, and bellcote
and chancel gable crosses. Interior. Double-chamfered, stepped round
chancel arch on corbels. Norman tub font on roll-moulded foot and octagonal
base. Wrought-iron lamp brackets and holders in nave.


Listing NGR: SE8933979580

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.