This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.664 / 51°39'50"N
Longitude: -0.3974 / 0°23'50"W
OS Eastings: 510935
OS Northings: 197348
OS Grid: TQ109973
Mapcode National: GBR 47.SJT
Mapcode Global: VHFSM.2F7R
Entry Name: Benskin's House
Listing Date: 12 September 1975
Last Amended: 7 January 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175793
English Heritage Legacy ID: 158216
Location: Watford, Hertfordshire, WD17
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Watford
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Watford St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/06/2015
TQ 19 NW
(Formerly listed as The Clarendon Hotel)
1860 by J Livock. Large yellow brick and stucco hotel associated with the station
of 1858. Italianate. Three storey. Hipped slate roof with bracketed eaves, tall
corniced brick chimneys at the corners and central pair of stacks, corniced and linked
by an arch.
Five window range to front, 3 windows to side. 1st floor windows in pilastered
surrounds with moulded caps, egg-and-dart moulded arches over with shell lunettes.
Stucco arches link centre 3 windows of front to form 5 arch feature. Moulded course
above from which break forward panelled sills of 2nd floor windows with brackets
beneath. Stucco surrounds with panels above and console brackets. Sliding sashes.
Stuccoed ground floor front with pilasters and entablature. Central porch with
Tuscan columns and outer square piers. Projecting ground floor to side with large
3-light windows with pilasters flanking central slightly projecting doorcase with
three-quarter columns. Entablature overall. Garden side doorway dated 1860. To
rear stock brick stable with gabled centre and 2 window range each side. Red brick
arched centre window head. Pilaster and entablature treatment to right side ground
floor. Banded brick between pilasters.
The Building News 1860 585.
Listing NGR: TQ1093597348
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings