This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1794 / 51°10'45"N
Longitude: -2.7377 / 2°44'15"W
OS Eastings: 348533
OS Northings: 142495
OS Grid: ST485424
Mapcode National: GBR MJ.5XYH
Mapcode Global: VH89X.HMK8
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 13 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175840
English Heritage Legacy ID: 267756
Location: Godney, Mendip, Somerset, BA5
Civil Parish: Godney
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
GODNEY CP GODNEY ROAD (North side)
3/43 Church of the Holy Trinity
Anglican Parish Church. 1839 by G. D. Manners; on a medieval site; restored 1903 with added chancel, by E Buckle. Elue
lias ashlar, slate roof, conical to chancel, coped verges, cruciform finial, gabled stone bellcote on ridge at West
end. Nave, South porch, apsidal chancel; Romanesque. Three bay nave with semi-circular head windows in freestone
surrounds, freestone imposts, and continuous band set over the voussoirs; projecting pilaster strips to each end and
between the bays; set on a plinth; corbel table below eaves. West end with interlaced arcading, 2 small semi-circular
head windows, shafted 2-light windows set over. Chancel with an arcade of 7 lancets set high up, inside shafted rere
arches. Porch with a semi- circular head outer door opening, chevron moulding, paired detached shafts with cushion
capitals, plank door with elaborate strap hinges; inner door opening is similar. Plastered interior on wood block and
tile floors. Nave with an arch-braced queen-strut collar and tie beam roof, chancel with a ribbed and plastered
ceiling. Chancel arch of 2 recessed orders, the inner supported on scalloped corbels; to each side a medieval stone
plaque with an emblem, to left a lamb, to right an eagle. Font in the form of an elaborate Romanesque column. Pine pews
with shaped ends, 2 readers and a pulpit of 1903, the latter in Art-Noveau style; brass and wrought-iron lectern.
Chancel with a piscina. Gabled tablet of 1780 to Jeanes Adams Bowen with achievement. Marble plaque by Rawling of
Shepton Mallet. Royal arms. Remains of some stained glass of C15 to nave; remainder of windows with leaded lights.
(Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST4853342495
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings