History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rushden, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.969 / 51°58'8"N

Longitude: -0.1012 / 0°6'4"W

OS Eastings: 530541

OS Northings: 231763

OS Grid: TL305317

Mapcode National: GBR K8K.K79

Mapcode Global: VHGNP.6RCX

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175887

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162335

Location: Rushden, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Rushden

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Rushden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Cottered

Listing Text

RUSHDEN CHURCH END
TL 3031
(North side)
Rushden
10/12 Church of St. Mary
27.5.68
GV II*
Parish church. Mid C14 origins, early C15 tower, altered late C15.
Restored, chancel and S porch rebuilt 1849. Refitted and roof restored
1906-8. Flint rubble, cement rendered. Stone and red brick dressings.
Yellow stock brick chancel. Lead nave roof. Slate chancel roof. Unaisled
4 bay nave with S porch, shorter, lower and narrower chancel, W tower.
Nave to S has C14 2 centred entrance arch, triple moulded with shafted
jambs, a foliate carved capital to right. Similar outer arch to C19
porch, coped gable parapet with kneelers. Nave has stone plinth, 2
restored late C15 windows of 2 cinquefoiled lights with traceried 4
centred arched heads, hood moulds. Short 2 stage angle buttresses to W,
1 buttress to E. Traces of sundial on quoin to E end of nave which has a
coped parapet to a shallow pitched roof replacing an earlier steeper
roof the line of which appears on the E wall of the tower. Nave to N: a
large restored late C15 window, 3 cinquefoiled lights, 4 centred arched
head. Blocked C14 entrance, pointed arch, double chamfered with moulded
caps to jambs. Taller 2 stage buttresses, angled to W. Unbuttressed 3
stage W tower is slightly narrower than nave, square on plan. Moulded
plinth. Stone quoins, brick in belfry. Lower W window, C15 restored, 2
lights with trefoiled heads with an upper hexafoil in a pointed arch.
String courses to upper stages. Slit opening in second stage to S. 4
louvred lancets in belfry. Embattled parapet. Chancel: C14 plinth
survives to S with opening for door to W of present door. S elevation
has an entrance with flanking 2 light arched windows all in rendered
surrounds, dentilled brick eaves. E end: large 4 light window in a broad
pointed arch, angle buttresses, kneelers to shallow coped parapet. 2
similar 2 light windows to N. Interior: C15 chancel arch, 2 centred with
wave and casement mouldings, continuous on jambs with respond caps.
Tower arch is earlier C15, pointed, triple chamfered, chamfered respond
piers with caps and bases. Nave roof retains C15 moulded wall plates,
tie beams, purlins, ridge plate and principals, arched braces with
pierced trefoils in spandrels. Carved figure corbels, grotesques, angels
and figures in C15 dress. Nave S wall has rood stairs. Nave E wall to N
of chancel arch has a C15 niche for a statue, 4 centred arched head,
cusped with floriate stops, moulded square headed outer surround, frieze
above with foiled and cusped panels. C14 piscina reset in chancel S wall
at E end, cusped head to a moulded pointed arch. C15 font in tower arch,
octagonal base with vertical roll mouldings at angles, larger octagonal
bowl with outer Tudor flower and central quatrefoil friezes, cap and
base, C17 cover. Early C18 communion rails, diagonally set slim vase
balusters, moulded handrail, C17 communion table with turned legs. Royal
Arms of George III over S entrance. Credo, Lord's Prayer and Ten
Commandments panels removed to tower. Monument on nave S wall to Sir
A. Meetkerke, Flemish ambassador to Queen Elizabeth I, d.1591, removed
from St. Botolph's, Aldersgate in 1754; marble epitaph, moulded frame
with arms. Early C19 monument to Meetkerke Family by J. Bacon. (Rev.
J. Mearns, Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society,
vol. IV, part 1, 1908-9: RCHM 1910: VCH 1912: Pevsner 1977).


Listing NGR: TL3054131763

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.