History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Grange

A Grade II Listed Building in Ellesmere Urban, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9141 / 52°54'50"N

Longitude: -2.8986 / 2°53'55"W

OS Eastings: 339669

OS Northings: 335565

OS Grid: SJ396355

Mapcode National: GBR 79.NJDF

Mapcode Global: WH89S.F0YS

Entry Name: The Grange

Listing Date: 2 October 1975

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175929

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259825

Location: Ellesmere Urban, Shropshire, SY12

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Ellesmere Urban

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Ellesmere St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Ellesmere

Listing Text

GRANGE ROAD
1.
5358
The Grange
SJ 3935 5/60 2.10.75
II
2.
C18 with later alterations. A substantial house set back from road in extensive
grounds. Red brick with stone dressings; 3 storeys. Original wing on west
side has 3 sash windows with stone keyblocks and lintels, tripartite windows
to ground storey, central wood doorcase with side lights and early Cl9 verandah
extending overall on slender supports. The eastern half of the house is early
C19 with sympathetic modern additions and has a gabled bay to left with a polygonal bay window above an iron verandah with iron balcony; to right is a Venetian window with stone pilasters and blind tympanum; large single storey polygonal conservatory on east side; moulded stone eaves; blocking course; half-hipped slate roof. The west elevation has a doorway with good openwork iron portico of circa 1830. The interior is Queen Anne revival and "Adam" style (of circa 1932) and has early C19 columns to hall arch with glazed dome lighting stair well. The early C19 work can probably be attributed to William Alexander Provis, Telford's chief engineer, who bought the house in 1830.


Listing NGR: SJ3966935565

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.