This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1704 / 51°10'13"N
Longitude: -3.2698 / 3°16'11"W
OS Eastings: 311323
OS Northings: 142006
OS Grid: ST113420
Mapcode National: GBR LT.6FH3
Mapcode Global: VH6GQ.8VR4
Entry Name: Church of St Ethel Dreda
Listing Date: 22 May 1969
Last Amended: 16 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175935
English Heritage Legacy ID: 265268
Location: West Quantoxhead, West Somerset, Somerset, TA4
District: West Somerset
Civil Parish: West Quantoxhead
Built-Up Area: West Quantoxhead
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST14SW WEST QUANTOXHEAD CP
5/218 Church of St. Ethel Dreda
(previously listed as Etheldreda
Parish Church. 1854-6. Architect John Morton for Sir Peregrine Acland and his son-in-law Sir Alexander Acland-Hood.
Doulting stone, squared and coursed, Bath stone dressings, stone slates, coped verges, chamfered plinth. 4 bay nave,
chancel and vestry, North and South aisles, Jorthwest tower, South porch. Late C13 Geometrical style. 3 stale tower,
pierced parapet with initials and coats of arms of donors, angled buttresses, 2-light bell openings with quatrefoil
Somerset tracery, clock second stage under ogee hood mould, 2-light window below, deeply moulded West entrance to
tower, stair turret in North East corner with ashlar spirelet and weathervane. West front continued, gabled end of
nave 4-light window, gabled end of South aisle 3-light; South front 2-light window left and two 2-light right of gabled
and buttressed porch with 3 bay sedila-type arcades, double doors, decorative hinges; 3-light on East face of South
aisle, two single light traceried windows to chancel, 3-light East end, 2-light to vestry; forth front, two single
light tracered windows to vestry, three 2-light left between buttresses. All windows with hood moulds and carved
foliage and faces to stops. Particularly noteworthy pair of gargoyles at junction of charcel and South aisle
attributed to Farmer who did internal carving. Interior: arcades of Babbacombe marble piers, naturisticaily carved
capitals, angel corbels carrying deep-arch braced scissor truss roof, one tier of cusping in nave, 2 tiers in chancel,
aisles arch braced collar trusses with queen struts, Chancel tiled with coats of arms of doners. C12 font, good mid C19
brass lecturn. Unusually homogenous collection of average to good mid C19 fittings in contemporary interior
distinguished by some fine stone carving. The medieval church, from which the font comes, was reputedly rebuilt circa
1583 and demolished by the Aclands when St. Audries (qv) park extended and the village resited, (Photograph in NMR
VCH Somerset, Vol,S forthcoming; Pevsner, buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST1132342006
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings