History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

41, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Bruton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1117 / 51°6'41"N

Longitude: -2.4558 / 2°27'20"W

OS Eastings: 368188

OS Northings: 134805

OS Grid: ST681348

Mapcode National: GBR MX.B9LY

Mapcode Global: VH8BG.DB24

Entry Name: 41, High Street

Listing Date: 29 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175941

English Heritage Legacy ID: 261566

Location: Bruton, South Somerset, Somerset, BA10

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Bruton

Built-Up Area: Bruton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Bruton

Listing Text

ST6834NW BRUTON CP HIGH STREET (North side)


8/93 No 41

GV II

House with shop in row. C17 or earlier. Local stone pebbledash rendered, ashlar plinth; Welsh slate roof with plain
gable to West; brick end and intermediate chimney stacks, with stone stack to rear. 2 storeys, 2 bays, of which bay 2
projects slightly. Bay 1 has 16-pane sash window below and 12-pane sash above; bay 2 has Regency style shopfront with
slim reeded timber pilasters, thin fascia and moulded hood, with later 24-pane shop window; to left 6-panel door with
plain fanlight in slight recess, and above pair 12-pane sash windows. To rear two projecting gables; the more Easterly
having a stone slate roof, the other is half hipped with plain clay tiles over stone slate base course. Inside a
miscellany of C17 and C18 features, some of which may be relocations; probably original are a first floor fireplace
with 900 mm deep stone lintel with flat, hollow chamfer and roll-mould arch; several C18 doors and partitions; and
parts of a C17 roof frame on East side at right angles to street, street bay now altered - collar and tie beam roof
truss with carpenter's mark and "W1696" in scribed on one member, and one crossbeam has two patterns of painted
decoration on the underside: recent alterations exposed the pencilled date 1820 several times in the West section.


Listing NGR: ST6818834805

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.