History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Redlyn

A Grade II Listed Building in Walkern, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9208 / 51°55'14"N

Longitude: -0.1269 / 0°7'37"W

OS Eastings: 528907

OS Northings: 226356

OS Grid: TL289263

Mapcode National: GBR J7S.JQS

Mapcode Global: VHGNV.RZ7D

Entry Name: Redlyn

Listing Date: 24 November 1966

Last Amended: 31 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175958

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159693

Location: Walkern, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG2

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Walkern

Built-Up Area: Walkern

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Walkern

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Ardeley

Listing Text

TL 2826 WALKERN HIGH STREET
(west side)

7/12 No 70
(Redlyn)
24.11.66 (formerly listed as No 70)

GV II

House, sometime the Red Lion PH. Later Cl7 (cast iron fireback
with 'CR 1674'), timber framed rear wing later. Red brick in
Flemish bond with dark headers. Steep old red tile roofs.
Roughcast on S end and rear wing. A 2-storeys and attics, 2-
cell, end chimneys plan house facing E with catslide rear
outshuts flanking a gabled 3-storeys stair turret. 2-storeys, 3-
bay, rear wing built against rear facing N, partly blocking top
stair window. Symmetrical E front with high stucco plinth, floor
band, and moulded wooden eaves cornice with modillions grouped
2:5:2:4:2:5:2 over 3 upper openings. Internal gable chimneys and
gable parapets with moulded brick corbelled kneelers. 2 hipped
dormers on roof slope with eaves cornices and 2-light casement
windows. Flush box sash windows with 8/8 panes, 4 steps up to
central raised and fielded 6-panel door (top 2 glazed), with
heavy frame and Cl7 heavy shell hood carried on carved cantelever
brackets. Tall narrow recess on outer face of each chimney, near
top. Original 2-light mullioned leaded window at top of rear
stair below gable parapet on corbelled kneelers. Interior has a
closed-string stair with turned balusters and splat balustrade to
attic landing, heavy cross-beams, open fireplaces at S end, with
swept rear corners, at N end of ground floor large open fireplace
with seats, niches, iron fireback and timber-framed
chimneybreast. Rectangular fireplace to chamber over, with bar
and ogee stops to chamfered ceiling cross-beam. Later kitchen
with chimney in NW rear outshut. Rear wing with low ground floor
partly below ground, W gable chimney, and lofty upper room said
to have been sometime a library and meeting room appears to be a
3-bay Cl7 barn rebuilt here in C18. Timbering exposed inside
with jowled posts, 3-bay clasped-purlin roof with inclined queen-
struts to collars.


Listing NGR: TL2890726356

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.