This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1775 / 51°10'38"N
Longitude: -3.2831 / 3°16'59"W
OS Eastings: 310404
OS Northings: 142808
OS Grid: ST104428
Mapcode National: GBR LS.642P
Mapcode Global: VH6GQ.1NQQ
Entry Name: Gas Retort House, St Audrie's Holiday Centre
Listing Date: 16 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176001
English Heritage Legacy ID: 265278
Location: West Quantoxhead, West Somerset, Somerset, TA4
District: West Somerset
Civil Parish: West Quantoxhead
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST14SW WEST QUANTOXHEAD CP
5/208 Gas Retort House, St. Audries
Gas retort house, now agricultural building. Circa 1855. Architect probably John Norton. Sampford Brett red
sandstone random rubble, brick and Bath stone dressings, double Roman tiled roof, louvred hood centre left, square
brick stack rising from stone base in South East corner. L-plan, 2 cell block lying East - West, single cell North
wing. Gothic style. Single storey, 1:2 bays; gabled North wing unglazed rose window, right return segmental doorway
damaged right jamb, no doors, North front segmental headed long 2-light casements partly boarded, outer bays left and
right centre segmental headed stable door, damaged rectangular light above to right, segmental headed double doors
similar right. Right return, (West) fronting remains of gas holder (qv), a quatrefoil opening in gable end, 2-light
segmental headed mullioned window, wooden cusped tracery heads. Interior: left hand room, at time of survey, (October
1983) has only a small segmental headed opening into chimney visible, louvred opening in roof in poor condition; to
left, any surviving features obscured by agricultural machinery. This gas retort house was built to supply St.
Audries, now a school (qv), and is one of the earliest estate gasworks, Welsh coal for the gasworks was landed at the
quay, now vanished, at the end of the slip (qv) about half a mile to the forth, Listed primarily for historic
interest. In poor condition at time of-survey, (October 1983). (VCH Somerset, Vol.5 forthcoming; Sirouard, The
Victorian Country House, 1979).
Listing NGR: ST1040442808
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings