This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8732 / 51°52'23"N
Longitude: 0.1577 / 0°9'27"E
OS Eastings: 548638
OS Northings: 221603
OS Grid: TL486216
Mapcode National: GBR LCD.JPL
Mapcode Global: VHHLV.P57V
Entry Name: Gray and Sons, W Adams Group, Samco
Listing Date: 18 October 1949
Last Amended: 11 July 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176015
English Heritage Legacy ID: 160921
Location: Bishop's Stortford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM23
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Bishop's Stortford
Built-Up Area: Bishop's Stortford
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bishops Stortford
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
5253 HADHAM ROAD
Nos 2, 10 and 12;
(formerly listed as
Nos 2, 6 and 8)
1 Half Acres
(Gray and Sons,
W Adams Group,
TL 4821 NE:1/27 18.10.49
L-shaped complex of buildings, almost total rebuild of former residence of medieval
chantry priest. At right angles behind range parallel to street: early C18 house, a
rebuild of C16 timber frame, in turn remodelled late C18. Stucco, old red tile roof,
2 storeys, 6 window. Two slightly projecting 2 window wings with hipped roofs.
Central door with side pilasters and dentil moulded entablature. Three C18 sash
windows, remainder C19 and modern. North wing (No 1 Half Acres) is best preserved
with painted pargetted exterior. Interior (No 1). Early C18 staircase with barley
twist balusters, and early C18 detail in west ground floor room. Heavy exposed
timbers on first floor. Former chantry bell attached to outer west wall. Interior
south side (Gray and Sons). Early C17 timber beam ceiling with plaster decoration.
Range parallel to street, C18 plastered and parapetted, steep old red tile roof. Two
and a half storeys. West block, 4 first floor C18 sash windows and one gabled dormer;
modern ground floor shop front. C16 or Cl7 timber-framing inside. East block has one
ground floor and 3 first floor C18 sash windows. Early C19 canted bay, multipane shop
front on east ground floor. C16 and C17 timber framing inside. In centre of range is
a gabled coach entrance with imitation half-timbering and "Chinese Chippendale" style
wooden gates. Nos 10 and 12 are an early/mid C19 attachment on rear of early C18
block. Stuccoed yellow stock brick, modern tile hipped roof. Two storeys.
Italianate window surrounds and vertically-hung sashes. East side of group bounded by
flint and red brick wall, some C17 brickwork. (RCHM (1911) 64).
Listing NGR: TL4863821603
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings