History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St David

A Grade II* Listed Building in Barton St. David, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0828 / 51°4'58"N

Longitude: -2.6585 / 2°39'30"W

OS Eastings: 353970

OS Northings: 131708

OS Grid: ST539317

Mapcode National: GBR MN.D094

Mapcode Global: FRA 56B8.63C

Entry Name: Church of St David

Listing Date: 17 April 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176035

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262807

Location: Barton St. David, South Somerset, Somerset, TA11

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Barton St. David

Built-Up Area: Barton St David

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
West Lydford

Listing Text

ST53SW BARTON ST DAVID CP BROADCLOSE WAY (South side)

2/2 Church of St David

17.4.59

GV II*

Parish Church. C12 to C15, with major C19 restoration. Local lias stone cut and squared, with Doulting stone dressings;
plain clay tiled roofs between coped gables, with stone slates to north porch. Cruciform plan chancel 2 bays, nave
3-bays, trancepts one bay each, with added north porch and octagonal north east tower. Chancel mostly C19, 2-bays;
paired offset corner buttresses with small buttress under east window, which is 3-light C14 traceried without label; in
north wall small cinquefoil cusped lancet; to south double chamfered pointed arched doorway east of another cusped
lancet. South transept rebuilt 1894; plinth, double corner buttresses; only a chimney to east; south window matches
chancel east window. Nave has similar buttresses, with a 2-light and a 3-light elliptical arched, flat head windows
without labels, in south wall, also remains of blocked segmental arched doorway; 4-light west window with C19 tracery
of late C14 style; no windows north, north porch possibly C18; plain segmental outer arch; inner doorway C13 with
single jamb shafts and open semi-cirular arch with chevron and lozengo decoration, door at least C18. north transept
has 3-light ovolo mould mullioned window with flat head and label. Tower octagonal, in three stages, probably C15;
rendered with string courses, corner gargoyles, battlemented parapets; bottom stage has cinquefoil cusped-light in
hollow moulded recess north face and hollow moulded pointed arched doorway to east; stage 2 has similar window again on
north face; to principal quarters stage 3 are 2-light C15 traceried windows in hollow moulded recesses. Inside, chancel
mostly Cl9; cusped rere-arches to windows, cinquefoil cusped piscina, and almost triangular headed long squint into
tower; narrow C13 chancel and transept arches with simple chamfered pointed arches, jamb shafts with turned bases and
capitals; with added segmental arched opening to south. Now mostly C19; octagonal-panelled pulpit with door and heavy
cornice, early C17; C13 stone font on C19 base, a plain octagonal bowl with moulded underside and plain shaft to
moulded plinth; fragment of C17-panelling in rear dado; over chancel arch a painting of King David with harp. Earliest
recorded rector 1309.


Listing NGR: ST5397031708

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.