History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lyngford House

A Grade II Listed Building in Taunton Deane, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0362 / 51°2'10"N

Longitude: -3.0921 / 3°5'31"W

OS Eastings: 323524

OS Northings: 126880

OS Grid: ST235268

Mapcode National: GBR M1.H4G9

Mapcode Global: FRA 46DC.Z1T

Entry Name: Lyngford House

Listing Date: 17 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176061

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270562

Location: Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA2

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Town: Taunton Deane

Electoral Ward/Division: Taunton Pyrland and Rowbarton

Built-Up Area: Taunton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Taunton

Listing Text

ST22NW CHEDDON FITZPAINE CP LYNGFORD LANE (East Sidel

5/53 Lyngford House


GV II


House, now conference centre for Somerset Area Health Authority. Circa 1830, altered mid C20. Red sandstone random
rubble, South front canted bay of brick, originally rendered, Bath stone dressings and ashlar fronted canted entrance
bay, string course, slate roof concealed behind parapet. Plan: central octagonal stairwell hall, asymmetrical South
front with full height canted bay, West front canted bay entrance flanked by diagonally set stair turrets, service wing
to North. Tudor Gothick style. Two storeys plus attic, all Tudor arch headed openings, Gothick tracery sash windows;
West front 3 storey parapeted turrets set diagonally to full height canted entrance bay, 12-pane sash window first
floor, ground floor window opening right blocked, left 15-pane sash window with single storey 2 bay service block
beyond, entrance 3 bay arcade, central-panelled double doors, coat of arms first floor centre presumed to be that of
John Roy Allen. Asymmetrical South front, 1:3 bays, 9-pane sash windows first floor, ground floor two 15-pane sash
windows. other altered; East front 5 bays, mainly original fenestration. Interior: octagonal central stair case hall
with cantilevered stair and Tudor arch headed recesses, otherwise not of special interest. The first recorded occupant
John Roy Allen married 1831 Miss Watson of Bath and the house was probably built for them. Their grandson Capt. Allen
occupied the house 1908 when photographs show it without render. (T Escott, Somerset Historical and Descriptive,
1908).


Listing NGR: ST2352426880

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.