This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0428 / 51°2'33"N
Longitude: -3.1037 / 3°6'13"W
OS Eastings: 322720
OS Northings: 127623
OS Grid: ST227276
Mapcode National: GBR M1.GMHF
Mapcode Global: FRA 46DC.6PR
Entry Name: Pyrland Hall
Listing Date: 25 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176079
English Heritage Legacy ID: 270566
Location: Cheddon Fitzpaine, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA2
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: Cheddon Fitzpaine
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST22NW CHEDDON FITZPAINE CP PYRLAND
5/57 Pyrland Hall
Country house, now boys preparatory school. Circa 1760 for Sir William Yea. Render grooved as ashlar over brick, Bath
stone dressings, brick service courtyard at rear, hipped slate roofs behind parapet, cavetto moulded cornice, flat band
string course, cyma recta moulded cornice to wings. Main block with projecting single storeys one room wings linked by
Ionic colonnade, service courtyard at rear. Neo-Classical style. 3 storeys, 5 bays, centre 3 break forward slightly
single bay, single storey projecting wings, second floor 4-pane sash windows centre, tripartite in outer bays, first
floor similar but sash windows without glazing bars, ground floor windows renewed C20, tripartile sash windows in outer
bays, 9-bay Ionic, Bath stone colonnade with dentil cornice and boarded soffit fronting 4 and 2-light mullioned and
transomed windows flanking central half glazed double door. Interior: hall, Ionic screen, dado and good plasterwork
cornices, imperial plan stick stair with cut string and inlaid mahogany handrail, plasterwork decoration to soffits in
Greek style, Venetian window on landing and decorative plasterwork to circular skylight; notable number of
original panelled doors, except those to headmaster's study and library in entrance hall; Adam-style plasterwork in
wings, right hand wing contains good marble chimney piece. The Yea estates were sold 1911 and the building was
sympathetically converted to school use circa 1953. (AJ Monday, The History of the Family of Yea, 1885).
Listing NGR: ST2272027623
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings