This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1108 / 51°6'38"N
Longitude: -2.4569 / 2°27'24"W
OS Eastings: 368108
OS Northings: 134713
OS Grid: ST681347
Mapcode National: GBR MX.B9BG
Mapcode Global: VH8BG.CBGS
Entry Name: Sexey's Hospital West Wing, with Chapel
Listing Date: 24 March 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176086
English Heritage Legacy ID: 261594
Location: Bruton, South Somerset, Somerset, BA10
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Bruton
Built-Up Area: Bruton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST6834NW BRUTON CP HIGH STREET (South side)
8/120 Sexey's Hospital : West Wing,
Almshouse, with chapel. c1638. Local stone cut and squared with Doulting stone dressings; stone slate roofs behind
parapets, with coped gables; stone chimney stacks with moulded caps. 'J'-plan, 2 storeys with undercroft on South
side; street elevation of 8 bays. Plinth, eaves string, plain parapet; mostly paired cusped headed windows under
continuous stepped label below and string course above; no window lower bay 2, plain cambered arched doorway bay 4;
lead rainwater stackhead at West end. Inner courtyard has matching elevations, with one door and one 2-light window to
each living unit, 3 to each level on North and West sides, the upper units reached by oak access stair and gallery of
1882 in C17 style; the 3-bay South side has stepped 3-light windows, bay 1 being the chapel window, with smaller
similar windows set into gables bays 2 and 3 above; cambered arched doorways to right of each bay, that to bay 2
having flat stone hood on corbel brackets, to bay 3 now blocked by staircase; above doorway between bays 2 and 3 a
3-centre arched recess with architrave in which is set decorated bust of the founder under moulted canopy with
cartoucle of arms and plaque under inscribed "Hugh Sexey, Esq., Founder - of this Hospitall - Auditor to Queene
Elizabeth and King - James", and signed "Wm Stanton, London, fecit". C16 style East chapel window in gable end. South
garden front 2 storeys with attic, 4 bays; paired cusped 2-light windows under shared labels to ground, with stepped
3-light to first floor and attic gables, but with 3-light C15 traceried pointer arch chapel window upper bay 4.
Interiors of living units probably modified, but Chapel completely unchanged, with plain timber coving to plaster
barrel vault ceiling, C17 panelling and stall-type pews, matching pulpit with tester and lower reading desk and very
small altar table. next to chapel the Visitors' entrance, with wide oak plank floors, C17 board and panel doors, and
fine timber screen with Ionic columns, leading into Visitors' room, plain but with wide cambered arched fireplace; good
stairs to Master's flat above, which has several C17 doors, a small cambered arched fireplace, and the exposed collar
trusses of roof frame. First almshouse in Bruton recorded in 1292; Hugh Sexey, a substantial landowner in Bruton died
1619; his trustees decided to rebuild some former charity houses on opposite side of road endowed by Sexey during his
lifetime, in or about 1638. (Couzens P, Bruton in Selwood, Abbey Press, Sherborne, 1972).
Listing NGR: ST6811034713
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings