History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Vicarage

A Grade II* Listed Building in Clun, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4188 / 52°25'7"N

Longitude: -3.0295 / 3°1'46"W

OS Eastings: 330080

OS Northings: 280588

OS Grid: SO300805

Mapcode National: GBR B5.NLV1

Mapcode Global: VH769.FGSL

Entry Name: The Vicarage

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176091

English Heritage Legacy ID: 257275

Location: Clun, Shropshire, SY7

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Clun

Built-Up Area: Clun

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Clun

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Clun

Listing Text

SO 3080-3180 CLUN C.P. VICARAGE ROAD
(South side)

15/183 The Vicarage
1.12.51

GV II*

Vicarage. Late C17 with late C18 and mid-to-late C19 alterations and
additions. Squared and coursed limestone, roughcast to rear, with hipped
graded slate roof. 2 storeys and attic; deep eaves, central brick stack
behind ridge, stack behind ridge off-centre to left, and large brick ridge
stack off-centre to right; central flat-topped dormer with 2-light
casement. 7 bays; C19 wooden leaded cross windows; central C20 double
half-glazed doors with C19 gabled wooden porch. Probably mid-to-late C19
one-storey lean-to addition at front to left with hipped slate roof, two
C20 casements, and glazed door to right. Late C18 glazing bar sashes in
left-hand end elevation, 4-bay right-hand end elevation with blocked
windows, first floor to left, blind. Rear: altered in late C18; 1:2:1
bay rhythm with projecting centre formerly surmounted by stone cornice
and blocking course (cf: previous list description); glazing bar sashes,
16-pane on ground floor to left and right. Interior: early C18 dog-leg
staircase with landing, open string with cut tread-ends, turned balusters
(3 per tread), moulded ramped handrail, fluted Columnular bottom newel
and 5 turned balusters as half-landing newel; ground floor room to right
at rear with egg-and-dart moulded fireplace surround and probably circa
1900 early-C18 style panelling. This is probably a late Cl7 U-shaped
house with the space between the rear wings filled and the whole rear
elevation re-fronted in the late C18.


Listing NGR: SO3008080588

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.