History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Child's Ercall, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8223 / 52°49'20"N

Longitude: -2.4977 / 2°29'51"W

OS Eastings: 366559

OS Northings: 325087

OS Grid: SJ665250

Mapcode National: GBR 7T.VCTK

Mapcode Global: WH9CH.LBV6

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 25 February 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176104

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260177

Location: Child's Ercall, Shropshire, TF9

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Child's Ercall

Built-Up Area: Child's Ercall

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Childs Ercall St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Hinstock

Listing Text

CHILD'S ERCALL C.P. VILLAGE ROAD (north side)
SJ 62 NE
7/27 Church of Saint Michael
-
GV II*

Parish church. C13 nave with west end rebuilt c.1500, south aisle rebuilt in
early C14, and C15 tower. Chancel and north aisle rebuilt, vestry and porch
added and whole restored in 1879 by Carpenter and Ingelow. Dressed red sand-
stone and red sandstone ashlar. Plain tile roof, separately over nave and aisles.
4-bay nave and aisles with south porch, 2-bay chancel with north vestry, and
tower at west end of south aisle. 1879 work in an early Decorated style.
Tower: 2 stages externally. Moulded plinth, string course to north, diagonal
buttresses with chamfered offsets, moulded parapet with carved corner gargoyles,
battlemented parapet with moulded coping and crocketed corner pinnacles, and
weathervane. Louvred tall belfry openings of 2 cinquefoil-headed lights with
Y-tracery, chamfered reveals and hoodmould. Small chamfered rectangular open-
ings below belfry to south and west. West window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights
with mullions continuing straight up into arch, chamfered reveals and hood-
mould. Memorial inscription on wall to south: "Near this place lies the Body
of/John Peel [Pool?] departed this Life January the - 177-." Weathering to
south aisle. Clock below belfry opening to south. Nave: parapeted gable
ends, with cross on apex to west. Circa 1500 square-headed west window of 3
trefoil-headed lights with chamfered reveals and carved stops. South aisle:
chamfered plinth, buttress to right, and parapeted gable end to east with
moulded kneelers and cross at apex. C14 windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights
with Y-tracery and chamfered reveals. Continuously-moulded C14 south doorway
to left with pair of C19 baize-covered doors. Circa 1879 gabled timber framed
porch on chamfered sandstone plinth. Pointed-arched boarded door with strap hinges
and returned hoodmould, 2-light leaded aide lights, moulded barge boards and
cross at apex. 6-light side windows. Interior with arch-braced collar truss
and side benches. East end of aisle: buttress to right. C14 window of
3 trefoiled ogee-headed lights, reticulated tracery and chamfered reveals.
North aisle: parapeted gable ends with moulded kneelers and crosses at apices.
Windows with 2 trefoiled ogee-headed lights and hoodmoulds with scrolled stops.
Chamfered rectangular recess beneath second window from right. East end with
chamfered round-arched window. West end: window with 2 trefoil-headed lights
and hoodmould with scrolled stops. Chancel: chamfered plinth, moulded stone
eaves, and parapeted gable end with moulded kneelers and cross at apex.
South side: pair of windows, each of 2 trefoil-headed lights with moulded
reveals and hoodmoulds with scrolled stops. Central reset C12 priest's door-
way consisting of moulded round arch, C12 hoodmould with large scrolled stops
and C19 boarded door with strap hinges. North side: central projecting
gabled vestry with window consisting of 2 trefoiled ogee-headed lights and
hoodmould with scrolled stops. Lean-to to right with stack. East end:
window of 3 trefoil-headed lights with cill string stepped down to scrolled
stops at ends, and hoodmould with scrolled stops. Flush flanking buttresses
projecting at right angles. Interior: C13 four-bay nave arcades. South
arcade consisting of circular piers with moulded bases and minimally-carved
foliage capitals, and double-chamfered arches. Slightly later north arcade
consisting of octagonal piers with moulded bases and capitals (except for
earlier half-round west respond). Double-chamfered tower arch with semi-
octagonal shafts and hoodmould. C14 piscina in south aisle with crocketed nodding
ogee (finial missing). Squint from south aisle to chancel. Windows and
south door with chamfered rear arches (except for north aisle east window).
Circa 1879 trussed rafter roofs to nave and aisles. C19 moulded tower arch
with semi-octagonal piers and hoodmould. Trussed rafter chancel roof.
Chancel windows with moulded rear arches, east window with cill string, nook
shafts with moulded bases and capitals and hoodmould with scrolled stops.
North vestry doorway with continuously moulded arch and boarded door with strap
hinges. Priest's doorway with chamfered rear arch. Sedile beneath south-
east window. Piscina with moulded trefoil arch and carved circular bowl.
Fittings: all circa 1879, possibly by Carpenter and Inglenow. Integral
stone reredos consisting of 5 stepped trefoil-arched panels and moulded cill.
Brass and wood altar rails. Plain choir stalls. Low stone sanctuary wall
with chamfered top. Integral polygonal stone pulpit with piered ogee-
traceried panels and moulded top rail. Wrought-iron lectern. Octagonal
stone font beneath tower with iron-bound wooden cover. Cast-iron spiral
staircase beneath tower, formerly at the Wolverhampton Wholesale Market
(1902-1973) and re-erected here in 1974. Stained glass: the Ascension in the
east window. The Domesday Book mentions a priest at Child's Ercall. B.O.E., p.98; D.H.S.
Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, part 8, pp.
686-8.


Listing NGR: SJ6655925087

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.