History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Decker Hill and Entrance Courtyard to East

A Grade II Listed Building in Shifnal, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6844 / 52°41'3"N

Longitude: -2.3691 / 2°22'8"W

OS Eastings: 375145

OS Northings: 309695

OS Grid: SJ751096

Mapcode National: GBR 06M.MVY

Mapcode Global: WH9D4.LS2G

Entry Name: Decker Hill and Entrance Courtyard to East

Listing Date: 26 May 1955

Last Amended: 29 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176128

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255222

Location: Shifnal, Shropshire, TF11

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Shifnal

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Shifnal St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Shifnal

Listing Text

SJ 70 NE SHIFNAL C.P. Eli379
(West side)

6/2 Decker Hill and Entrance
26/5/55 Courtyard to East (formerly
listed as Decker Hall).

- II

House, now Club House. Circa 1810. Stucco with hipped slate roof. 2 storeys;
first floor cill band, deep frieze, deep eaves cornice with paired brackets,
and small ridge stacks off-centre to left and right. Greek Revival style.
2:1:2 bay rhythm; giant order of needed pilaster strips flanking each pair
of outer bays; recessed centre bay with 2 giant unfluted ashlar Ionic columns
in antis. Glazing bar sashes. 3 steps along facade with later flanking
lions; 5 steps to pair of central 3-Panelled doors with reeded architrave,
side lights, and segmental radial fanlight over all. 6 bay left-hand end
elevation with blind boxes to ground floor sashes; right-hand end elevation
with 2 storey bow to left and projecting 2 storey square bay to right with
chamfered panelled corners. Interior: central hall with oval top light,
and 2-flight dog-leg staircase with open string, wrought iron balustrade
with anthemion ornmmnti panelled doors, and moulded cornices and soffits
throughout. 2 storey service block adjoining to West; entrance court to
East consisting of low ashlar walls with urns and square gatepiers with
cornices. Landscaped grounds with temple (qv) and entrance lodges (qv)
now golf course. N. Pevsner, B.0.K. Shropshire, p.246; Burke's and
Savill's Guide to Country Houses, Vol. II. Hereford, Salop and Worcester,
1980, p.86.


Listing NGR: SJ7514509695

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.