This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8572 / 52°51'25"N
Longitude: -3.0569 / 3°3'24"W
OS Eastings: 328933
OS Northings: 329379
OS Grid: SJ289293
Mapcode National: GBR 73.S1XS
Mapcode Global: WH89X.0FMY
Entry Name: Wynnstay Hotel
Listing Date: 10 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176134
English Heritage Legacy ID: 255502
Location: Oswestry, Shropshire, SY11
Civil Parish: Oswestry
Built-Up Area: Croesowallt
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Oswestry St Oswald King and Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 2829 SE OSWESTRY C.P. CHURCH STREET (east side)
15/32 No. 43 (Wynnstay Hotel)
House, now hotel. Late C18 with later additions and alterations. For
Sir Watkin Williams Wynn. Red brick, hipped slate roof with 2 external
end stacks to right. 3 storeys, moulded stone eaves cornice to front
and toothed eaves cornice to sides; 6-window front to main section,
glazing bar sashes (15-paned to first floor) with gauged heads, C20
shutters to ground floor; entrance in fourth bay from left, Roman Doric
portico with 2 pairs of coupled columns and re-modelled entablature,
half-glazed inner door with rectangular overlight; good ornamental
wrought-iron bracket for former inn sign above entrance. Mid-C19
2-storey, 2-bay range to left also with glazing bar sashes. Rear
elevation of main section has a 3-light angular bay to left and a
Venetian window on first floor beneath central pediment. Interior:
considerably altered late C20; former ball-rooni on first floor now
divided into 3 rooms and corridor but retains moulded plaster cornice to
ceiling and a medallion of crossed foxes and eagles, emblems from the
Arms of the Williams-Wynn family; wooden fireplace with Adam-style
surround to rear ground-floor room on right. Late C19 red brick addition
set back to rear on left is not of special architectural interest.
Formerly known as The Wynnstay Arms and previously to that as The
Cross Foxes, the building is referred to in the diary of the English and
Welsh trip undertaken by the Dublin architect, Francis Johnson, in 1796.
B.O.E, p. 224.
Listing NGR: SJ2893729380
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings