History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade I Listed Building in Sandon, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9935 / 51°59'36"N

Longitude: -0.0754 / 0°4'31"W

OS Eastings: 532237

OS Northings: 234526

OS Grid: TL322345

Mapcode National: GBR K86.ZPT

Mapcode Global: VHGNP.M5Z4

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176178

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162374

Location: Sandon, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Sandon

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Sandon

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Cottered

Listing Text

SANDON CHURCH END
TL 33 SW
(East side)
Sandon
7/51 Church of All Saints
27.5.68
GV 1
Parish church. Chancel rebuilt following contract between Dean and
Chapter of St. Paul's and T. Rykelyng, stone mason, dated 1348. Nave
and aisles rebuilt later C14. W tower and S porch early C15. Tower
buttressed C17. Restored 1832 and in 1875 by E. Christian. Tower and S
porch restored 1908-9. Flint rubble, some knapped. Stone dressings. Red
brick tower buttresses. Leaded nave and aisle roofs. Tiled chancel roof.
Chancel: restored 3 light E window, pointed arched traceried head, hood
mould. Plinth, string course at sill level. Steeply pitched roof.
Diagonal buttresses. To S: two 2 light C14 windows with pointed arched
panel traceried heads, hood moulds, that to E is shorter, separate
string courses at sills, intermediate buttress. To N: 2 similar windows
flank a C19 inserted arch, now blocked. Longer and wider nave has a
shallow pitched roof, coped parapet to E with a ridge cross. Clerestorey
has 2 small C15 2 light square headed windows at E end, formerly
lighting rood loft. N aisle: two 2 light C14 windows with pointed arched
hexafoil traceried heads, to right of centre a door with triple moulded
pointed arched surround, mask stopped hood moulds, to left of a central
buttress a large 2 light C19 square headed window, end buttresses, coped
parapet. E end of N aisle, C19 3 light square headed window. S aisle:
flanking porch are 2 large C19 3 light windows with 4 centred arched
heads, that to left with a traceried head, end buttresses. S aisle E
end: C14 window, 3 ogee headed lights, curvilinear tracery in an almost
round arched head. Large S porch: 2 centred head to moulded outer arch
with semi-octagonal responds with caps and bases, diagonal buttresses,
shallow gable, coped parapet. Returns have 2 light windows, cinquefoiled
lights in square heads with hood moulds. Inner entrance is a moulded
pointed arch with hood mould. W tower, 3 stages, orginally unbuttressed,
each stage slightly set back from the lower. Moulded plinth, C19 W
entrance, pointed arch in square surround, tall C19 2 light window above
with pointed arched head. 4 raking angle buttresses up to 2nd stage. 2nd
stage to S has a trefoil headed lancet, clock to W. Belfry, 2 light
openings with pointed arched hexafoiled heads. cornice to plain coped
parapet. Low pyramidal roof, weathervane finial. Interior: 2 centred
chancel arch, 2 hollow moulded orders to semi-octagonal responds with
caps and bases. Taller 4 centred tower arch, 2 hollow moulded and outer
quirked wave moulded orders, half column responds with moulded caps and
bases. 4 bay nave arcades, pointed arches, double chamfered with broach
stops over piers, hood moulds with small carved masks to S, octagonal
piers with moulded caps and bases. Nave and aisle roofs rebuilt re-using
some old tie beams. In N aisle to W is a moulded principal with an early
boss. 4 bay chancel roof has cambered tie beams with crown posts with 2
way curved braces, ceiled in C19 above wall and crown plates. Chancel N
wall: C14 Easter sepulchre, depressed arched head, moulded surround with
crocketed ogee finials, floral ornament. Chancel S wall: ogee headed
piscina and a triple ogee headed crocketed and cusped sedilia, probably
reset. S aisle S wall at E end, a piscina with a cusped pointed arched
head with credence shelf. N aisle N wall at E end, a concave recess for
an image, opposite on SE wall another piscina with a cinquefoiled head
and a hood mould. Good early C17 pulpit at NE corner of nave, octagonal,
richly carved with brackets to reading board. C15 chancel screen, 5
bays, that to centre open, dado with cusped panels, moulded base, cusped
ogee heads to open upper sections with panel tracery and crocketing
above. Font in S aisle has C14 or C15 octagonal stem with 4 octagonal
outer shafts with simply moulded caps and bases, C19 or early C20 bowl.
At W end of nave are ten C15 benches with poppy head finials to ends,
original seats, panelled backs with moulded rails at heads. Monuments:
brass figures in nave floor at E end, J. Fitz-Geffrey, d.1480, in armour
with wife, children and shields. Chancel S wall: marble cartouche to
E. Nicholas d.1683, alabaster epitaph to E. Moryson, d.1626, with term
figures in jambs and carved surround. S aisle wall W end: aedicule to
N.F. Miller, d.1747, possibly by H. Cheere, various marbles with a bust
in a recess, flanking seraphs, cartouche of arms in pedimented head with
urn finial, epitaph below. Floor slab in nave to E. Nicholas, d.1683,
with relief arms. Fragments of medieval glass at heads of N aisle
windows and S aisle E window. The 1348 contract specifies the number of
lights for each window, buttresses and a priest's door and allows
payment of 20 marks and the stone of the chancel. (Kelly's Directory
1899: East Herts Archaeological Society Transactions, vol. III, pt. V,
1905, p.42: RCHM 1910: VCH 1912: Pevsner 1977).


Listing NGR: TL3223734526

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.