This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6814 / 52°40'52"N
Longitude: -2.8243 / 2°49'27"W
OS Eastings: 344369
OS Northings: 309614
OS Grid: SJ443096
Mapcode National: GBR BF.43CT
Mapcode Global: WH8BS.LV9S
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas
Listing Date: 13 June 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176182
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259432
Location: Great Hanwood, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Great Hanwood
Built-Up Area: Hanwood
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Great Hanwood
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SJ 40 NW GREAT HANWOOD C.P. A488 (south side)
4/130 Church of St Thomas
Parish church. Mainly 1856, but-incorporating some medieval, C17 and C18
fabric. Red brick - mainly C19 but some C17 brick in nave and C18 brick to
chancel - on roughly coursed sandstone plinth (probably medieval), ashlar
dressings and quoins with machine-tile roof and dentilled eaves cornice.
Nave with polygonal chancel under same roof and belfry at west end; north
porch, south-east vestry and north-east organ chamber. Nave: in 5 bays on
north, paired lancets with circular openings above in third and fifth bays
from west with blocked opening between, gabled porch in second bay with
another paired lancet to west; south side also has 3 paired lancets, the
westernmost cutting the infill of a blocked doorway; paired lancet in west
wall and circular window above with 4 pierced trefoils; tile-hung late C19
belfry with pyramidal roof. Polygonal chancel with C19 Gothic windows, east
one of 3 lights; shallow lean-to organ chamber (1890) on north with paired
lancet, gabled vestry to south. Interior: mainly mid-C19 appearance, plain
oak roof in 5 bays; some re-used C17 panelling in sanctuary which has the
words "holy.holy.holy" painted on back wall; mid-C19 stained glass in chancel and
south-east window of nave by David and Charles Evans, late C19 stained glass
in other nave windows on south; mid-C19 box pews and C12 sandstone font
with moulded rim and scalloped underside on late C19 pedestal. Monuments:
a collection of early to mid-C19 wall tablets and memorials to various members
of local families in both nave and chancel. B.o.E., p.133; D.H.S. Cranage,
The Churches of Shropshire (1894-1908), p.859, and Appendix p.992.
Listing NGR: SJ4436909614
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings