History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Baptist Chapel the Lawrence Flat the Manse Adjoining

A Grade II Listed Building in Hatch Beauchamp, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9763 / 50°58'34"N

Longitude: -2.9976 / 2°59'51"W

OS Eastings: 330057

OS Northings: 120127

OS Grid: ST300201

Mapcode National: GBR M5.LY3Z

Mapcode Global: FRA 46MJ.D10

Entry Name: Baptist Chapel the Lawrence Flat the Manse Adjoining

Listing Date: 25 February 1955

Last Amended: 21 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176198

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270791

Location: Hatch Beauchamp, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA3

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Hatch Beauchamp

Built-Up Area: Hatch Beauchamp

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Hatch Beauchamp

Listing Text

HATCH BEAUCHAMP CP
ST3020
HATCH BEAUCHAMP VILLAGE

12/11 Baptist Chapel, The Lawrence Flat
and The Manse adjoining
(formerly listed as 2 separate
items: Baptist Chapel and The
Manse)
25.2.55

GV II

Baptist chapel; lecture room and classrooms, now flat; manse, vacant at time of survey (December 1984). Chapel dated
1783, lecture rooms dated 1883, manse 1855. Chapel and lecture rooms: roughcast grooved as ashlar, quoins, lias plinth,
gable fronted, slate roofs, overhanging eaves, decorative bargeboards to taller lecture rooms. Plan: parallel range,
2-storey lecture room and classrooms left, chapel full height probably with west end gallery. 1:1 bays; Ham date stones
in gable ends, 3-light arched windows resting on lintels of 6-panel double doors with rusticated surrounds and pentice
porches on stepped brackets, left hand entrance to lecture rooms flanked by illegible Ham stone tablets set above the
plinth, larger tablet left stating that this addition was made "at the sole expense of Mr Vincent Owsley as an
expression of gratitude to Almighty God for blessings received" and opened 1883. Left return, 4 bays, 12-pane sash
windows first floor, two 16-pane sash windows ground floor and inserted C20 door right. Right return; 2 arched many
paned windows. The Manse adjoining, set back. Rendered, shallow pitch slate roof, brick stacks gable ends; probably
double pile; 2 storeys, 3 bays, 2-light casements first floor, ground floor cruciform windows central segmental headed
recessed doorway, flanked by stepped buttresses, half-glazed door with marginal glazing bars and coloured glass.
(Photograph in NMR).


Listing NGR: ST3058021148

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.