This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8124 / 51°48'44"N
Longitude: 0.1502 / 0°9'0"E
OS Eastings: 548322
OS Northings: 214827
OS Grid: TL483148
Mapcode National: GBR LD5.8SW
Mapcode Global: VHHM1.KP8Z
Entry Name: The Old Bell Public House
Listing Date: 6 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176218
English Heritage Legacy ID: 160746
Location: Sawbridgeworth, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM21
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Sawbridgeworth
Built-Up Area: Sawbridgeworth
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Sawbridgeworth
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
(The Old Bell PH)
TL 4832 1483:3/36 6.6.52
C16 H-plan house adapted, raised and extended in C17 to form U-plan with
rear courtyard. C18 doorcases and windows. 2 storeys and cellar. Timber-
framed and plastered. Weatherboarding to Gd floor of E flank and upper
floor of SW wing. Steep old red tile roofs with bellcast and boxed eaves
to front, hipped to E and gabled to W. Large central chimney at junction
with E wing, at upper end of hall. External gable chimney at W end added
to former service rooms. Old rear wall plate now cut by 1st floor windows,
points to a formerly lower hall block flanked by narrow gabled crosswings
each end. C16 queen-post roof structure with heavy cambered tie beams and
heavy curved braces,remains in E wing. Main roof raised and hipped probably
in late C17. Lower 2 storey outbuilding attached to W rear wing with timber-
framed and weatherboarded pigeon-loft under old tiled roof. Lower storey
renewed in brick. Street front has a high brick plinth and pargetting in
small panels with chevron pattern infill. Irregular window spacing. Upper
floor has 3 windows. Former 3 light mullioned and transomed wood casements
recently replaced by 12 paned windows with top hung vents. Gd floor has
3 small bay windows, central one modern with square plan and leaded lights.
Outer 2 are early C19 canted bays with 2/2:8/8:2/2 sashes and moulded
cornices. 2 doors, one to W of central bay, one at extreme E of front.
Fine matching door surrounds of c.1770. Narrow panelled pilasters each
support a moulded bracket carrying a full entablature with dentilled
triangular pediment. Frieze and architrave break forward over brackets and
also in centre. Frieze has running Greek key pattern with fluted panels in
centre and over each bracket W rear wing has C18 flush boxed sash with 6/6
panes on 1st floor. E flank has 2 light Yorkshire window to 1st floor.
2 light and 3 light C19 casements to rear. Fine open fireplace with iron
crane on Gd floor, central bar. Exposed beams on both floors. Good plank
door on 1st floor next to stack. Evidence of separate external stairs to
wings, linked when roof raised. A former coaching inn.
Listing NGR: TL4832214827
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings