This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9725 / 50°58'20"N
Longitude: -3.3095 / 3°18'34"W
OS Eastings: 308156
OS Northings: 120047
OS Grid: ST081200
Mapcode National: GBR LR.M3D7
Mapcode Global: FRA 36YJ.Y87
Entry Name: Greenham Barton
Listing Date: 25 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176225
English Heritage Legacy ID: 270103
Location: Stawley, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA21
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: Stawley
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
In the entry for STAWLEY CP GREENHAM
6/28 Greenham Barton
The grade shall be amended
ST02SE STAWLEY CP GREENHAM
6/28 Greenham Barton
House. Early C15, C16 and early C20 alterations. Red sandstone random rubble
with Ham stone dressings, stone slate roof, stone stacks. L-shaped plan long
block of hall and porch facing South East with service wing North West. 2
storeys, 2:1:2:1 bays; pair of mullioned and transomed 10-light Tudor headed
windows to right of porch, 4-light mullioned window outer bay right, 2 pairs of
2-light mullioned windows to left of porch, 2-light cinquefoil with hood mould,
in first floor of porch; the latter is crenellated with stepped diagonal
buttresses, 4-centred arch with convex mouldings. Circular staircase turret with
moulded parapet outer bay right, early C20 addition. Interior: remains in
screens passage possibly of aisle truss post, imported stud and plank screen,
unusual stair turret between screen and fireplace in Great Hall originally
giving access to gallery above passage. Great Hall open to eaves with
Elizabethen - style plaster work by smallcorn of Bath, early C20, similar in
solar and inner room, 4- centred arch fireplace moulded with reverse ogees.
Pointed arched doorway to service wing, originally detached kitchen block. Round
headed gateway North East site of courtyard, which originally also contained a
detached chapel and lodgings. (SANHS Proceedings, p 17-24, LXXX; Country Life, p
252-7, September 9, 1933; VAG Report, Unpublished SRO, November l981).
Listing NGR: ST0815620047
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings