History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lychgate Approximately 35 Metres to East of Church of Saint Luke

A Grade II Listed Building in Hodnet, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8535 / 52°51'12"N

Longitude: -2.5761 / 2°34'34"W

OS Eastings: 361299

OS Northings: 328595

OS Grid: SJ612285

Mapcode National: GBR 7Q.SBRJ

Mapcode Global: WH9C8.DJHT

Entry Name: Lychgate Approximately 35 Metres to East of Church of Saint Luke

Listing Date: 25 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176238

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260198

Location: Hodnet, Shropshire, TF9

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Hodnet

Built-Up Area: Hodnet

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Hodnet

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Weston

Listing Text

SJ 6028-6128
13/46

HODNET C.P.
CHURCH STREET (North side)

Lychgate approx. 35 metres
to east of Church of Saint
Luke

GV
II

Lychgate. Circa 1870, possibly by Anthony Salvin. Red sandstone ashlar
with some yellow sandstone ashlar. Plain tile roof. Decorated Gothic
Style. Buttresses with chamfered offsets and parapeted gable ends with
shaped kneelers and moulded copings. Entrances with recessed chamfered
arches and half-octagonal piers with moulded capitals and stops at rear.
3-light side openings with chamfered arches and octagonal shafts with
moulded capitals. Pair of wooden gates to east, each with triple
chamfered-arched lights. 6 stone steps up from east with coped side
walls and square end piers. Interior: 3-bay roof consisting of
chamfered arched-braced collar trusses springing from curved braces
resting on small stone corbels. Single purlins. Stone side benches.
Hodnet Hall (not included on this list) by Anthony Salvin was built in
1870 and the Percy chapel was added to the Church of Saint Luke (q.v.)
in the same year. Salvin was possibly the architect of the lychgate too.

Listing NGR: SJ6129928595

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.