History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II Listed Building in Tellisford, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2852 / 51°17'6"N

Longitude: -2.3022 / 2°18'7"W

OS Eastings: 379020

OS Northings: 154045

OS Grid: ST790540

Mapcode National: GBR 0RR.6T2

Mapcode Global: VH971.1YSP

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 11 March 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176241

English Heritage Legacy ID: 267447

Location: Tellisford, Mendip, Somerset, BA2

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

Civil Parish: Tellisford

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Woolverton

Listing Text

ST75SE TELLISFORD CP
WOOLVERTON

4/498 Church of St. Lawrence

11.3.68

GV II

Church. C14 and early C15, restored in C19. Coursed rough faced Doulting stone and plain clay tile roofs with coped
gables, finials and crosses. West Tower, Nave with South Porch and Chancel. Tower in 3 stages and 2 stage octagonal
spire with finial and weather vane. Quatrefoil cusped openings on 4 sides, now blocked. 2-light windows to
bell-chamber, blocked on East side. Battlemented parapet. To West of Tower, a vestibule with diagonal corner
buttresses, slate roof with coped gable. Nave, two 2-light windows and central South porch with diagonal corner
buttresses, slate roof with coped gable. Three, 2-light windows on North side. Chancel, single 2-light window rebuilt
1888/9. Early English cusped tracery under cusped arches with drip moulds. Interior: South Porch has pointed stone
vault with 3 ribs on carved corbels and pointed arch to entrance, door vertical boarded with "Y" framework. Nave:
barrel roof with 3-tie beams, plaster ceiling has been removed. Chancel arch said to be C13, pine boarded and panelled
ceiling to Chancel. Perpendicular style font. C17 chairs, stools and altar table. Memorials include Thomas Wooley
1835, Thomas Meade 1845. External: On South East quoin stone to Nave, 3 inscribed dials; and on South East quoin to
Chancel, inscribed in fine lettering "BM 212 FEET ABOVE THE SEA'.


Listing NGR: ST7902054045

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.